We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which neighborhood would you choose? St. Germain or Marais

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
11 posts
Save Topic
Which neighborhood would you choose? St. Germain or Marais

Im going to Paris for my first time and will be staying 5 days. Ive found AirBnB locations in both of these neighborhoods, which both seem fantastic. Two places Ive found are in the "rue du dragon"and the "Rue Serpente". Both are similarly priced. Also, is air conditioning a concern? Ive heard it get hot and humid in July. I know Ill be out most days taking in the city but I want to be in the best place possible in general for the first time around. Also, Im traveling solo and just plan to have a good time and be open to exploring. Thank you!

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,955 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which neighborhood would you choose? St. Germain or Marais

Both locations are in St Germain, just on opposite sides of Bl St Germain. Neither is in the Marais.

It does get hot in July. I would try to choose the one with good ventilation, etc.

Locations are comparable, so choose by amenities.

San Francisco...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which neighborhood would you choose? St. Germain or Marais

Yes, I should've have mentioned that I knew that those are in the same area. I am also looking at places in Marais as well and mainly wanted to distinguish between the two neighborhoods. Thank you!

Edited: 03 July 2014, 17:38
Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which neighborhood would you choose? St. Germain or Marais

So what exactly is your question?

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which neighborhood would you choose? St. Germain or Marais

I've stayed several times at a small hotel in the rue Serpente (in fact I'm returning there in September, hurray). Its a very short street and relatively quiet, and very close to the river, Notre Dame, lots of cafes and restaurants. Very close to the Metro as well. I'm not familiar with the rue du Dragon but the rue Serpente location is excellent.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,591 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which neighborhood would you choose? St. Germain or Marais

Have you looked at the neighborhood guide on Airbnb? https://www.airbnb.com/locations/paris

At this late date, I'd focus more on the individual apartment than a specific neighborhood. Most of the good apartments will have been booked well in advance and you'll be left with a limited choice.

When using Airbnb I look for several things when choosing an apartment. I make sure that the apartment has several good reviews, no previous host cancellations and preferably has Airbnb verified photos. I also look at all of the terms, amount of security deposit, cancellation policy. I also check to see what floor it is on and if there is an elevator - and will I be comfortable climbing several flights of stairs if the elevator breaks. I also look at the street view and for nearby metro stops. If it looks good then I'll send an inquiry to the host to verify availability and ask a few general questions to gauge their responsiveness.

Renting an apartment takes quite a bit of work, and something that you can't just rush in to.

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,955 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which neighborhood would you choose? St. Germain or Marais

In regards to your question re the Marais, i would just say to be "careful" when apartment ads use that term. "The Marais" covers lots of ground and, to me, the designation has become almost meaningless. It covers the 3rd, 4th, and parts of the 10th, 11th, and 12th (it seems).

So if you look into an apartment in the Marais, make sure you get the address or at least the intersection. The 4th arrondissement Marais is on the right bank close to the river, and, like St Germain near the river, it is popular (and picturesque).

7. Re: Which neighborhood would you choose? St. Germain or Marais

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 07:16