We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Full Days - Carnet or other option?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
5 Full Days - Carnet or other option?

Hi There

We will be in Paris for 5 full days - one of which is a day trip to Versaille.

Is the Carnet the recommended choice?

Can I use the carnet for versaille, or must I purchase a separate ticket?

We will have 5 ppl total - so if a taxi is the better route, please let me know as well

Thanks!

Florida
Level Contributor
17,114 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Full Days - Carnet or other option?

You will need a ticket from Paris to Versailles 'Rive Gauche'. You can buy a carnet of this ticket *if* the ticket can be used in either direction, which I do not know. In other words a 'carnet' is 10 tickets - - you need 5 to go out to Versailles and 5 to come back to Paris. Does a Paris > Versailles ticket = a Versailles > Paris ticket? If 'yes' then get a carnet. If 'no' then you simply need 5 tickets each direction.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,142 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Full Days - Carnet or other option?

With 5 people you are set. you need two tickets to Versailles -- one to go and one to return. This means you need 10 total point to point Paris-Versailles Rive Gauche/Chateau tickets or a carnet of these tickets. Normally that is about 7 Euro each for two tickets -- you will get a small discount by buying the 10 you need as a carnet.

Take a taxi from the airport. The RER would cost about 48 Euro and a taxi will cost about 55-60 (you pay extra for the 4th and 5th passenger.)

While in Paris, just buy a couple of carnet of ordinary local tickets for 13.70 each and buy more if you run out. Be sure to always hang onto the ticket until you exit the system (then throw it away so it doesn't get mixed up with good tickets) You can be asked at any time for your valid ticket and fines are steep and on the spot if you don't have it. We were asked for our tickets 4 times in one month a year ago. Paris is a walking town and the more time you spend on your feet the more you experience it; use the metro to zip to distant points like the Eiffel Tower or Montmartre, but plan to walk most of the time in an area.

It is possible a Navigo Decouverte for 5 zones would be a good choice, but that depends on when you will be there. They run Mon-Sun of one week and can be used from the airport and to Versailles if charged for 5 zones.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,147 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Full Days - Carnet or other option?

With five people, a taxi may be challenging, unless you phone ahead. Most taxis in Paris are compact vehicles that accommodate no more than three, and usually (uncomfortably) in the back seat. Though drivers are "required" to accept a party of five if the vehicle will accommodate that many, in addition to the driver, few will actually accept you, which means going to an official taxi stand and waiting (perhaps unsuccessfully or for a very long time) for a mini-van taxi.

A taxi to Versailles will probably cost 80 Euros each way (or more) and would have to be arranged in advance.

A "carnet" is any journey of ten tickets for ~20% discount. So, it would make sense to request 10 tickets to Versailles which would provide tickets in both directions for five people.

Florida
Level Contributor
326 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Full Days - Carnet or other option?

OP, are your days M-F or another day combination?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Full Days - Carnet or other option?

We arrive Thursday and depart the next Wednesday to Paris Disneyland (Thursday to Saturday). I don't think we plan to return to the city center again.

I thought i read something about purchasing carnets. Are they easy to purchase at each station, and are they good for busses as well?

Thanks again!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,142 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Full Days - Carnet or other option?

DJK I think the suggestions for taxi were for the run in from the airport where it is both economical and easy to arrange for 5. You certainly won't pick one up on the street and it makes no sense for Versailles.

A carnet is just 10 loose tickets. You can buy a carnet of tickets for Versailles which would run about 30 Euro or so which is a slight discount over individual tickets (I don't know the exactly cost -- but 28-30 for a carnet I would guess) A carnet of local Paris tickets which can be used on any Paris public transport e.g. tram, metro, buses, RER, and even other trains that cross Paris costs 13.70 and can be purchased from any metro machine or at vending windows of RER or the rare sales window in a metro. For 5 people, I would buy at least 2 to start, maybe 4 and just split up the tickets and buy more when you needed them.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

7. Re: 5 Full Days - Carnet or other option?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 20:17