We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Paris for one night via cruise

Delaware
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Paris for one night via cruise

We are visiting Paris via a cruise stop for two complete days in Le Harve, about 2.5 hours from Paris on October 2, 2014. We are in our 60's and walking is not a problem. We would like to stay in close proximity to the "have to visits' on our first and maybe only trip to Paris. We do not wish to spend a lot on a room, but would definitely require clean/lovely place. Also, the neighborhoods are unfamiliar to me, so again, I am asking for a recommendation. I did look on AirBnB but not sure of the areas. Private room with private bath is a must. A recommendation for a restaurant for dinner would also be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Skip-the-Line Admission...
622 Reviews
from US$51.60*
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
541 Reviews
from US$73.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Tickets with Lunch...
150 Reviews
from US$59.20*
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Paris for one night via cruise

With such a short visit, I would stay as central as possible, which would mean the 5th or 6th, and as near the river as possible.

I would recommend a hotel over an apartment. I don't think airbnb is what you want for this short visit. I'll let others recommend budget hotels in the area, but if your budget can stretch to about €225, I would recommend the Henri IV on the rue St. Jacques. It gets excellent reviews and is immediately across the river from Notre Dame. Can't get much more central than that.

http://www.henri-paris-hotel.com/en/

Edited: 07 July 2014, 14:08
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Saint-Jacques
Hotel Saint-Jacques
1,023 Reviews
Paris, France
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Paris for one night via cruise

Is the cruise company providing transfers?

If you will be booking your own train tickets, best to do so forthwith as tickets have just gone on sale and fares will increase as you wait.

If you are taking a train to Paris and back, you might want to stay near Gare St-Lazare, so dropping off/collecting your bags will be more convenient. We really like Hotel Langlois, a short walk from the station.

Or, you could highlight the station and those places you plan to visit while in Paris on a one-page map and figure out where to stay.

You don't *have* to "stay Central", since the top sights are spread out and you can get from wherever you're staying to them and back easily on the metro or buses. The buses would be preferable to the metro if lots of stairs would be objectionable.

Choosing accommodations with Airbnb requires knowing what you're doing to avoid a costly mistake. Agree that a hotel would be the better bet.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Langlois
Hotel Langlois
494 Reviews
Paris, France
Gare St. Lazare
Gare St. Lazare
279 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,028 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Paris for one night via cruise

I would disagree on not staying central. With almost no time, you will maximize your pleasure by being central and near the river -- one of the great pleasures of Paris is being able to stroll in the evening near this area with the city lit up and Notre Dame illuminated. I would second the Henry IV Rive Gauche but there are cheaper hotels I am sure that are central. In a short stop, I would adopt a less is more approach and limit the 'must sees' and strive to experience the beauty of the place.

I would not wait in line to go up the Eiffel Tower, but would enjoy its sparkle in the evening during a stroll; I would not hit a lot of museums but perhaps choose one if you have always dreamed of seeing X or Y; I would plan on sitting in a picturesque spot and enjoying an afternoon drink and I would stroll through the Tuilleries and watch the kids sailing little boats on the fountain. Paris rewards relaxed wandering.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Mentioned in this post
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
118,108 Reviews
Paris, France
Rive Gauche
Rive Gauche
146 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Paris for one night via cruise

You might enjoy dinner at Le Reminet. It's a short walk from the area around St. Michel, if you choose to stay in that area. If you book through thefork.com you can get a discount.

http://www.lereminet.com/

Mentioned in this post
Le Reminet
Le Reminet
1,264 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,376 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Paris for one night via cruise

I completely agree that you should stay in the 5th or 6th near the river. There are several hotels in this area that would fit your criteria. Do you have a budget in mind? I also agree that Airbnb would not be a good idea for a one night stay.

Delaware
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Paris for one night via cruise

Hi Janet,

I like what you recommend (along with the other recommendations also). Are we crazy to try to see a few places in Paris enough to enjoy it in such a short time. I definitely wanted to see Eiffel Tower at night, walk around, sit and have wine at a café and also try to see as many places in the area without exhausting ourselves. I don't want to rely on subway as I am afraid we would get lost. We do not speak the language. Thank you for any additional suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
118,108 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Delaware
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Paris for one night via cruise

Thank you for replying. I have no idea what the price of a hotel in that area would be, but less is better. I do have a question, as you mention numbers when saying what area to stay in. What are those numbers (5th or 6th). How would I find a hotel in this area? Sorry, I am used to Italy, not France.

The ship does have a overnight shuttle. Could someone direct me to find out how much the train would be please? Thanks everyone for all of your help. I feel a little lost trying to quickly plan this cruise we just booked.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
France
France
Europe
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,376 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Paris for one night via cruise

You might want to pick up a guidebook so that you can learn more about Paris. The DK Eyewitness Top 10 Paris would be fine for a short trip.

In the guidebook you will find out that Paris is divided into 20 districts numbered from 1 to 20. They are called arrondissements. They start in the center of Paris and spiral out from there. The 5th and 6th are on the "left Bank"and within walking distance of many sights.

Some price range would still be helpful as "not a lot" means different things to different people. A budget hotel will be in the $150 range and prices go up from there.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 18:15
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Paris for one night via cruise

For train timetables and prices, use www.capitainetrain.com.

Paris is divided into 20 arrondissements. The 5th and 6th are two of them. You can google for a map of Paris arrondissements.

You don't have to speak French to use the métro or buses. You just have to know how to navigate the system. You can learn how at www.ratp.fr and www.parisbytrain.com

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Delaware
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Paris for one night via cruise

Again, you all have great suggestions. Per hotel pricing, I would like to stay under $250.00. Thank you so much for any suggestions. I have already contacted the hotel mentioned.