We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying in the Moulin Rouge- area, is safety a concern?!?

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
staying in the Moulin Rouge- area, is safety a concern?!?

Hello everyone,

I am travelling alone for the first time, and luckily it's to Paris (super excited!!!) I found a great flight deal and now I'm on the hunt for a great hotel deal.

I found an insane deal for 7 night in the "Montmartre - Moulin Rouge" area on hotwire, but I am a women travelling alone. Should I be concerned about my safety in that area? (in case I make my way back to the hotel at night).

Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers :)

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying in the Moulin Rouge- area, is safety a concern?!?

Generally speaking, safety isn't a concern much of anywhere in Paris, though places in the "Moulin Rouge area" could be considered sort of sleazy - depends where. Also know that, while not a big deal, you're fairly far from the center of the city.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: staying in the Moulin Rouge- area, is safety a concern?!?

It's a bit tacky in places, but as in all the rest of Paris, nothing to worry about in terms of safety (actually, it would be *men* travelling alone who would face more annoyance in this area than women).

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: staying in the Moulin Rouge- area, is safety a concern?!?

Ok. Thank you both for the feedback!!

I am just wondering if the price is worth the distance from all the touristy things I plan to indulge in.

Can anyone suggest a budget-friendly area that is ideal for someone travelling alone?

Thanks again!! :)

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
1,888 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying in the Moulin Rouge- area, is safety a concern?!?

I stayed close to that area (about three blocks away) as a solo female for a week in March and experienced no problems whatsoever .. at night or otherwise.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,884 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: staying in the Moulin Rouge- area, is safety a concern?!?

I would not use Hotwire to book a hotel in Paris. There a plenty of budget- friendly hotels to choose from, without resorting to a surprise from Hotwire.

Paris, France
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: staying in the Moulin Rouge- area, is safety a concern?!?

Safety is not a concern. Nowhere in Paris is particularly difficult for accessing tourist spots, and your choice is a tourist spot in itself, so that is one ticked off. The area immediately around the Moulin Rouge is a bit sleazy, in a half-hearted way, but 100m uphill it is just relaxed and bohemian. Check out the French film "Amélie".

Paris, France
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: staying in the Moulin Rouge- area, is safety a concern?!?

Safety is not a concern. Nowhere in Paris is particularly difficult for accessing tourist spots, and your choice is a tourist spot in itself, so that is one ticked off. The area immediately around the Moulin Rouge is a bit sleazy, in a half-hearted way, but 100m uphill it is just relaxed and bohemian. Check out the French film "Amélie".

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: staying in the Moulin Rouge- area, is safety a concern?!?

I agree. I hate hotwire. There are countless areas in Paris where you can find inexpensive accommodation. Check the double-digit arrondissements. I like the 20th, but they're all interesting. Being a solo traveler really doesn't fit into any equation.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: staying in the Moulin Rouge- area, is safety a concern?!?

I too am travelling alone and booked a hotel next to the Anvers metro station just down the road from the Moulin Rouge. When I asked about the safety of the area for a solo female traveller I was advised against staying in that area..

So I cancelled my reservation and am now staying at the Hotel France Albion in the 9th which is apparently a much quieter area and in a convenient location for the places I'm looking to visit.

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: staying in the Moulin Rouge- area, is safety a concern?!?

Great.

Thank you all for the feedback!! might be reconsidering using hotwire, but i guess safety is not a problem.