We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our trip plan & do we need a Museum Card?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
359 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Our trip plan & do we need a Museum Card?

My wife and I will be in Paris in the first week of September.

Our hotel is Mercure Paris Centre Tour Eiffel, walking distance to the Eiffel Tower.

We will have exactly 6.5 days to move around.

We plan to use 5 days to do the following in a slow pace DIY manner:

Arc de Triomphe, Avenue des Champs Elysees, Palais Garnier, Eiffel Tower, Seine River Bateaux Mouche night cruise – 1 day

The Louvre – 1 day

Notre Dame, St Chapelle, Conciergerie – 1 day

Sarcre-Coeur Basillica Dome, Par de la Villette, Canal St-Martin Canauxrama cruise – 1 day

Versailles – 1 day

The order/sequence is flexible.

Is our plan doable?

Do we need a Museum card for this plan?

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our trip plan & do we need a Museum Card?

It is doable. Your day with the Louvre is nice and empty - I can't spend more than two or three hours in a museum before I'm all museum'd out. So perhaps after the Louvre you could wander around St Germain or the Marais for a while.

The Paris Museum Pass isn't required, but may be helpful for Versailles so you don't have to stand in line for tickets. If you want to get a two-day pass, then move Versailles to next to your Notre Dame day. It's good for the Notre Dame towers (line up early, before opening), the Conciergerie and Saint Chapelle as well as Versailes. So a two day pass for those two days would work out well for you. If you want to do the four day pass, put Versailles in with the Arc de Triomphe, Louvre, and Notre Dame days. It should be a good value.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,052 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our trip plan & do we need a Museum Card?

A museum pass will not cover all those places but would include Arc de Triomphe (free to visit, 9,00 to go to the top), Notre Dame (free to visit, 8,00 to climb the towers), Sainte-Chapelle (8,00), Conciergerie (8,50), Louvre and Versailles (18,00). A 2-day museum pass costs 42,00 and a 4-day pass costs 56,00.

Since the pass is valid consecutive days, visiting your planned included places over two consecutive days would not be "in a slow pace" and over four days would save you a few Euros but restrict you to consecutive days.

And, then, you never know about the weather. Obviously, it's best to visit outdoor venues when the weather is splendid (particularly the Canal St-Martin cruise) and go indoors when it is not.

You can purchase advance tickets for Chateau Versailles (to avoid the ticket line on arrival) on the website or at the Tourist Office once in Versailles.

At the Conciergerie, you can purchase a combination ticket for Sainte-Chapelle and save a few Euros.

Your plan is quite doable, but you'll probably want to remain flexible and consider the weather once you're in Paris.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,800 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our trip plan & do we need a Museum Card?

On a first visit with lots of items on the Museum Pass, I'd get it for the convenience even if it doesn't save money.

for the Louvre. I do cannot do 6 or 7 hours at a museum much as I love them, but with a Louvre ticket (if you don't do the pass) you can leave for lunch and a stroll and then re-enter later. If you did it on a weds or fri you could go in the morning, so something else in the afternoon, then come back in the early evening for another stint. Louvre tickets are good for the day.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
359 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our trip plan & do we need a Museum Card?

Heard about Notre Dame night light show (not a film show), is it on during our visit on the first week of September?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,699 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our trip plan & do we need a Museum Card?

What do you mean by "light show"? The building is lit from the outside every night.

When I Googled "Notre Dame Light Show", my search brought up information about the Notre Dame Cathedral in Montreal, Canada.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Our trip plan & do we need a Museum Card?

Maybe what you heard about was the celebrations for the 850 years of ND, which are now over: www.notredamedeparis.fr/spip.php?rubrique134

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Our trip plan & do we need a Museum Card?

I was in Paris in an min March and the weather was great (no rain) and i had purchased the Museum Pass since it was worth it for me and what i was going to do and see.

Note that the only lines i encounter was at the Louve and the Musee d'Orsay. i used the underground entrance to the Louve and just waited in line at the Orsay.

You will wait in lines at the Eiffel tower no matter what. Prebooked entrance helps but not for the lifts to the top.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
359 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our trip plan & do we need a Museum Card?

TQ for your feedback on night light show. Yes, I think I am mistaken.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
359 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our trip plan & do we need a Museum Card?

Hi, r c, the Museum Pass does not include the Eiffel Tower, or does it?

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our trip plan & do we need a Museum Card?

I do not think it includes the Eiffel Tower.