We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overwhelmed by Info! Help to break it all down needed!

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
790 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Overwhelmed by Info! Help to break it all down needed!

Hey all,

I'm a frequent user of this site but im struggling with planning a 3 day break with my wife and 2 children (2 and 7). There is just so much information and having no background knowledge of Paris i.e. size, location of main sites etc, im really finding it quite tricky to plan an enjoyable trip.

We are staying out near Nation Metro at the Best Western Le Patio Saint Antoinne, which from what i can gather is close to Notre Dame and this looks very walkable. We have no plans what so ever but i think we will need to combine Museum visits with plenty of trips to the parks. Le Louvre seems like its not the most enjoyable with children but i really want to see the Mona Lisa and i want my 7 year old to see it too. We have the Eiffel Tower booked to go up to the 1st stage as to get to the top was fully booked, but i am hoping i can pay the extra to go right to the top when i get there? Anyone know if this is possible?

I know the fun of visiting a city is the exploring so we will obviously play a lot of it by ear, i think a bus hop on hop off tour will help us get our bearings, are there any bus operators to avoid? Any recommended?

If any families that have visited Paris for their first time have any info that helped them make the most of their time i would really appreciate your help.

Many thanks

Jimbo

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,193 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overwhelmed by Info! Help to break it all down needed!

theguardian.com/travel/2013/may/10/paris-wit…

This might be helpful.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,699 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overwhelmed by Info! Help to break it all down needed!

Staying near nation, you're not really near Notre Dame at all. You will probably want to use the metro to get there. According to Google maps you're 3.3km away or a 45 minute walk.

To learn more about public transportation use: www.ratp.fr or www.parisbytrain.com

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overwhelmed by Info! Help to break it all down needed!

You really need to get used to using Google Maps. As F1Racegirl said, it's a 40 minute walk:

https://goo.gl/maps/Nau0t

Do some Googling and you'll find maps online that show what site is where in relation to one another. Stop by a library or bookstore... any decent guidebook will give you some of the background info you are struggling with.

Regarding the Eiffel Tower, one can buy a ticket to a higher level from the level you are on.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,100 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overwhelmed by Info! Help to break it all down needed!

Your Eiffel tickets must be to the 2nd level (not the 1st) as no tickets are sold online to only the first. From the 2nd level, you can buy more tickets that cover from 2nd level to the top/3rd/summit level.

Nation is a large metro hub so no problem with getting around by subway, but it isn't particularly walkable to anything you'll be wanting to see in a couple of days' time.

There are many posts in the forum from people who've traveled with children - you can find many by using the forum search box, typing in phrases like "paris with children", "7 year old", and so on. I wouldn't try to do many museums with small children, but they will probably enjoy the Seine boat cruise and the hop on/off buses. The Jardin de Tuileries and Jardin de Luxembourg are lovely larger gardens in the center of Paris. Every arrondissement has at least one carousel so your 2-yr old might like a ride if you come across one.

ireland
Level Contributor
975 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overwhelmed by Info! Help to break it all down needed!

Bus 86 runs along your street, it will take you close to Notre Dame and through Saint-Germain-des-Pres.

You could also look at the Batobus, a boat that stops at 8 attractions along the river, Louvre, Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower ect. A two day pass costs €18 for adults, half price for children.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overwhelmed by Info! Help to break it all down needed!

In addition to google maps, get a good paper map of the city and study it. Pay attention to scale so you can gauge distances. Nation is not near Notre Dame, and you'll see that by studying a map. With a map and an understanding of scale, you can easily group things logically together for sightseeing. Once you've got things grouped, use F1racegirl's websites to learn about how to travel from one place to another.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
872 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overwhelmed by Info! Help to break it all down needed!

The Jardin D'Accilimatation - www.jardindacclimatation.fr is good place to spend some time with kids. It has many smaller amusement rides, train rides, etc for kids your ages. Also, if you will be in Paris in July or August the Tuileries has a carnival (or did when we were there in August one year). Maybe one of you can visit the Louvre with your 7 year old while the other parent visits the Tuileries with the 2 year old. I will be there this August with my 7 year old - we have planned a Scavenger hunt with Thatlou.com; Behind the Scenes Eiffel Tour; Pompidou and Parc Villette Museum of Science. As suggested, do a search for 7 year old or Paris with Kids/Children - there's some other great suggestions out there.

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
790 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overwhelmed by Info! Help to break it all down needed!

Many thanks for all your input so far, some interesting comments. 3.3km = 2 miles, im gussing it'll be more like a 30 minute walk which in theory is ok, until you factor in amount of people, congestion etc. This is the kind of info i needed to know, as from the map it wasnt clear, google has hotel to Notre Dame as 2.4 miles so ive learnt something already. That would make the Eiffel Tower around 6 miles away from my estimates.

My daughter is a "Monster in Paris" fan so i intend to visit the Jardin de Plantes, thats a little nearer than Notre Dame and also the Funicular at Montematre.

I agree with Travelnutty, i wont be doing too much in the way of Museums, i think it will be more hassle than i need. I really would like to just walk and see Paris as it comes. Its always nice to just arrive and walk around discovering your own things, would love to see a small piece of old Paris if an area such as this exists?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
872 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overwhelmed by Info! Help to break it all down needed!

There's also the re-vamped zoo which many are reporting is very nice.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,515 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overwhelmed by Info! Help to break it all down needed!

hi

the time for walking in google maps is pretty good if you are just try to get there; for first time visitor you should at least double or even triple the time because you will more than likely be stopping quite a bit along the way.

for your visit to Eiffel Tower look at taking the metro line 9 from Nation to Trocadéro (25 minutes); Trocadéro has one of the best views of the ET; look at about 30 min to walk along the plaza from Trocadéro metro exit and the base of the tower. (google map will not show the route that takes the stairs down; it goes along ramps only)

to see Notre Dame a good route would be to take the metro to start; Line M1 from Nation to Tuileries then from Tuileries gardens (where children can play near the water fountains) walk to the pyramide at the Louvre and cross one of the bridges to get to Notre Dame. when finished touring/walking and want to get back then look for Line M1 near Hotel de Ville or even St Paul metro if you have not run out of energy. There is a playground behind Notre Dame (left side) near the pedestrian bridge that crosses over to Ile St Louis.

Buying a carnet of 10 tickets is the best deal as they can be shared +there are some deals for children.

the latter will give you a good balance of getting there my metro to save the feet and not be exhausted when you get there and, enough walking around to get a sense of central Paris.