We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lakeland, Florida
5 posts
Save Topic
Getting around Paris

We are staying in the Marias area of Paris. What is the best way to get to Montmatre and Sacre Coeur?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Paris

It's Montmartre. And Marais. Correct spelling helps google and other searches.

And to learn your way around Paris, study www.ratp.fr and www.parisbytrain.com

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,083 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Paris

The first time you ride the metro pick up a free map. And every bus stop has a map of the route of that bus. Getting around Paris is easy once you get in the habit of noting the metro stop for your destination; it is part of the information on every web page and most guide books when they describe destinations.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
866 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Paris

The metro is easy to use once you get used to it. Lines are numbered 1, 2, 3 etc. The last stop on the line still be displayed on the front of each train, helping you to recognise the direction of travel. Use this link ratp.fr/itineraires/…recherche-avancee. To plan your journey type in your starting and destination metro stops and it will give you the best route.

Lakeland, Florida
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Paris

thank you so much!

Lakeland, Florida
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Paris

I appreciate your websites and spelling corrections - I will be more careful :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,607 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around Paris

Much depends on your exact starting point in the Marais. If you are near the St Paul Metro station, I would take the number 1 Metro line in the direction of La Defense, and change at Concorde to the number 12 in the direction of Porte de la Chapelle, and get off at Abbesses. Then it would be a fairly easy and interesting climb to Sacre Coeur.

I like to travel by bus when feasible, but that might be too much to go into in this reply.

-- Steve

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around Paris

Yakkin is right. I recommend taking the bus. Although probably slower, it is more scenic and relaxing.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,364 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around Paris

Re. post #5 - people often take offence when spelling errors with places are pointed out, but they shouldn't. What St.Cirque :) said is spot on. People are not being snarky, it is (usually) a genuine attempt to help.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,083 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting around Paris

I am a fan of the metro coupled with lots of walking. The buses take forever to arrive, get stuck in traffic and are slow, and I rarely get a seat since they are generally full. Nothing relaxing about standing in a crowded bus not being able to see out the window. I rarely fail to get a seat on the metro although it does have its jam packed moments as well.

It is a nice stroll from Montmartre back to the Marais -- I'd metro there to Lamarck Caulaincourt, climb the stairs up to Caulaincourt, turn left and slowly wander through the prettiest parts of Montmartre to Sacre Couer. This route takes you to the back or side of the basilica and then you walk around the side to the front and the nice view out over the city. From there you can wander over to Abbesses and then down the hill towards the river and back towards the Marais. You can always grab a bus or metro if you tire out, but it is not far and a nice walk. You can use a map to choose routes that take you past interesting parks, churches or whatever.

If you walk down Rue des Martyrs from Abbesses you will come to Notre Dame de Lorette; if you then walk down the street in front of it, which as I recall is Rue Laffitte you will have a wonderful view of Sacre Couer perched above Notre Dame de Lorette. It is one of the most lovely views in Paris. You can catch the snapshot in my photo journal in the 'Paris' category and in the post entitled 'Paris churches off the beaten track.' There is a daytime and nighttime shot of this particular view.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,612 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting around Paris

Walk if you have time and are in shape for walking, otherwise take the subway or buses. Paris is a small and highly walkable city and very scenic. You can cross the city completely in about three hours.