We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris &...... Nice? London? Amsterdam?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tallahassee,FL
Level Contributor
60 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Paris &...... Nice? London? Amsterdam?

Hello All,

I'm planning a birthday trip next summer for a group of 8-10 friends. We plan to come to Europe for 8 days. Most of us have never been to Europe and we would like to visit 2 major cities spending our last 4 days in Paris. The problem is I (the coordinator) am not sure which other city we should explore. I've narrowed it down to Nice, London, and Amsterdam.

I'm partial to Nice and London but one member of the group expressed interest in Amsterdam. As a group we are interested in cultural sites, food, wine, food, shopping, and a little nightlife.

Any suggestions on what our second destination should be?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,180 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris &...... Nice? London? Amsterdam?

Fly into London (it's easier to deal with jet lag when language and customs aren't completely foreign -- it's not the same, but it's not as big a change)

Take the Eurostar to Paris (just 2-1/2 hours).

Fly home from Paris.

For a short trip with a large group, London is by far the easiest option.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris &...... Nice? London? Amsterdam?

Hello

It is absolutely a question of personal choice. It is like choosing between beer and wine.

I could make the list longer by adding Bruxelles Rome Berlin etc.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris &...... Nice? London? Amsterdam?

It's really such a personal question - like a favorite color or favorite food.

Amsterdam and London are both lovely cities. I personally prefer London, but that doesn't mean Amsterdam is bad or wrong.

You should figure out what the majority wants, and in the case of a tie, the birthday celebrant is the tiebreaker.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,397 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris &...... Nice? London? Amsterdam?

I agree that in terms of logistics for a group, London would be a wise choice. But you should put this question forward to your group.

Tallahassee,FL
Level Contributor
60 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris &...... Nice? London? Amsterdam?

Thank you for the opinions. The group has kind of left it up to me since none of us have been to these cities. The only 2 that suggested options suggested Nice and Amsterdam. Very different options. I like the London option best mostly because of what you've all mentioned.

Someone suggested that we stay in Paris for all of our days and take day trips to London and Amsterdam. I know it's a personal choice, but your suggestions are very helpful!

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris &...... Nice? London? Amsterdam?

Day trips would be exhausting, but doable. Depends on everyone's stamina!

Probably easier (and possibly cheaper) to fly into London and home from Paris. Book Eurostar tickets 90 days in advance for the best prices.

Tallahassee,FL
Level Contributor
60 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris &...... Nice? London? Amsterdam?

Ok, I'm looking into that now! Thank you. Also could anyone explain all of the different rail options?

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris &...... Nice? London? Amsterdam?

Both Paris and London are huge cities. Amsterdam is small by comparison. I suggest Paris for 5 days and Amsterdam for 3 days.

If your choice is London and Paris use the Eurostar website to purchase tickets.

Fly open jaw for sure whatever you decide.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris &...... Nice? London? Amsterdam?

If you go to Amsterdam by train, best option is Thalys.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris &...... Nice? London? Amsterdam?

Getting from London to Paris, there are only two reasonable choices:

Eurostair - a direct train from city-center to city-center. Inexpensive, when purchased in advance. Pretty scenery for some of it.

Air by budget carrier - from city-suburb to city-suburb - also involves 1/2 hour + trip into/out of town. Can be a comparable price, or cheaper if purchased closer to travel dates. Don't forget to consider cost of getting to/from airport.

To Amsterdam, it's much the same story, only the train name is Thalys instead of Eurostar