We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bastille day fireworks - Pl de la Catalogne or Breteuil?

Auburn, Washington
Level Contributor
274 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Bastille day fireworks - Pl de la Catalogne or Breteuil?

Hi, we are arriving in Paris tomorrow, and originally we planned to watch fireworks from Champ de Mars, and .... turned out that it would be a very popular thing to do, and Champ de Mars would be super-crowded.

So we're thinking of alternatives. We read a couple of blogs and do some searches on Google Maps.

Question 1:

Can we watch from Brateuil square - the traffic circle (Place de Breteuil), seems to be close to Duroc metro station, and there is a road that seems to have a straight shot at Eiffel tower. However, when I looked up Street View in Google Maps, the view is obscured by some trees. What are the opinions of the Paris experts here on the board? Is this a good option?

Question 2:

What about near Place de Catalogne, near intersection of Boulevard Vaugirard and Boulevard Pasteur?

Thks!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,157 reviews
from US$108.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
570 reviews
from US$51.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$329.40*
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bastille day fireworks - Pl de la Catalogne or Breteuil?

If you can't see the second level of the Eiffel Tower, you can't see much, if any, of the fireworks. So when scoping out a spot, that's a major criteria.

Some people reported success trying to watch them from some bridges crossing the Seine.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bastille day fireworks - Pl de la Catalogne or Breteuil?

The intersection you mentioned will be too far away, I think. The fireworks are really best seen from the river. It will be crowded just about anywhere within close viewing distance, though.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bastille day fireworks - Pl de la Catalogne or Breteuil?

I guess fireworks are just fireworks in a lot of countries, but in Paris they are an audiovisual show, which is why they should be seen on the Champ de Mars. This year's fireworks are designed to commemorate the various wars of the 20th century. There is a classical concert on the Champ de Mars before the fireworks begin at 11pm.

They can also be seen on French television tonight, as well as on the Paris municipal website.

london
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bastille day fireworks - Pl de la Catalogne or Breteuil?

Please can you give link to the Paris municiple website.

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
336 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bastille day fireworks - Pl de la Catalogne or Breteuil?

I believe the fireworks can be watched via this link....someone correct me if I'm wrong. I plan to watch from my desk (while I work - wink wink) this afternoon)

http://quefaire.paris.fr/14juillet

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bastille day fireworks - Pl de la Catalogne or Breteuil?

For the first time since 2000, some fireworks will be fired from the Eiffel Tower itself.

http://www.metronews.fr/paris/concert-du-14-juillet-sur-le-champ-de-mars-du-grand-classique-au-programme/mnga!CnEo2suW8TM2Y/

7. Re: Bastille day fireworks - Pl de la Catalogne or Breteuil?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 06:16