We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navigo Découverte transportation Pass in Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
344 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Navigo Découverte transportation Pass in Paris

My wife and I will be in Paris on first week of September, arriving at CDG airport on Monday at 6:40am. We will stay at Mercure Paris Centre Tour Eiffel for 7 nights and depart on Monday 12:00pm. During our stay we plan to move around using public transport in the Paris city center and we will also travel only once out of Paris to Versailles.

Should we buy the Navigo Découverte transportation Pass for a week?

Should we buy only Zone 1-2 and pay cash for the Versailles?

Or shall we buy Zone 1-4 for all our trips?

Read in TA that we can purchase the Navigo Découverte from ticket windows from a metro or RER station or local tabacs. Is there any local tabacs near our hotel that sell the Navigo Découverte?

My wife and I will carry a 20kg checkin baggage each when we arrive at CDG. Shall we buy the Navigo Découverte at the airport and use it straight away to go to our hotel (which will save us no less than 50€)? We also read about pick pocket etc etc in the Metro and so we don't mind spending 50€+ for the taxi from CDG to hotel but wonder if the traffic jam at that hour will be a problem? ( We won't want to get caught in a traffic jam in a taxi wasting time and money.)

Please advise.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Navigo Découverte transportation Pass in Paris

*Personally* I would take a taxi to the hotel with your bags. But that's me. I know when I have jet lag, I am not particularly aware of my surroundings. Plus I like seeing Paris as I approach her.

Last year, I got the ND just for zone 1, and bought supplemental tickets to Versailles. I'm not sure if it was the most economical, but I'm not one to quibble over a couple of Euros.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,105 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Navigo Découverte transportation Pass in Paris

You cannot get a Navigo Decouverte from a tabac.

Most metro stations do not have ticket sales counters, just an information counter. You go to a ticket machine and pay E5 for a Navigo Decouverte card. You get a receipt from the machine, which you take to the information counter together with a 3x2 cm photo of yourself. The person at the information counter will make up the ND card, which you take back to the ticket machine to load up with a week of travel.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,500 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Navigo Découverte transportation Pass in Paris

I would buy the ND at the airport and have it charged right there; usually they just hand you the charged kit and you assemble it yourself with the picture. If you will use it from the airport then get it for 5 zones and it will definitely be cost effective.

Otherwise just get a point to point ticket to Versailles (roughly 7 Euro round trip -- buy two one way tickets each)

If you take a cab then i tis easiest to get the card from an RER station where there are manned windows; while I have recharged my ND on machines, I think it is much easier as a first time user to have the RER clerk charge it up for you when you buy it.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Navigo Découverte transportation Pass in Paris

Take a taxi whenever you have luggage. Get a two-zone Navigo Découverte for moving around town. Buy a separate ticket for Versailles.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
344 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Navigo Découverte transportation Pass in Paris

Yes, taking a taxi from airport to hotel is a good idea. How about traffic jam at that hours of the day? Is it very bad?

Shall we wait until peak hours over to catch a taxi? But then what to do in the airport to kill time?

Our flight arrival time is 6:40am and our hotel check in time is 2pm. Any suggestions on where to wonder around and what to do?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Navigo Découverte transportation Pass in Paris

Just take a taxi immediately. You won't save any time by waiting, and it's more comfortable to relax in a Mercedes than to stand outside on a sidewalk.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,500 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Navigo Découverte transportation Pass in Paris

Take a cab to your hotel once you complete immigration and drop your bags at the hotel and head out to a cafe for breakfast/coffee and then explore something in the area of your hotel. Walking in the sun is the best way to reset your jet lag clock. If you don't think you will fall asleep and you want to do a Seine river trip in the daytime, then this would be a good time to do that. Or if you think a city overview via HOHO bus is what you would like to do, then this is a great time to be sitting on top of a bus and watching the major monuments of Paris go by. (both of these things do pose a sleep risk if you are exhausted, but they keep you out in the day light and fresh air) Get a light lunch the head back to the hotel to check in and shower.

We avoid napping if we can, but if you do want to grab a nap be remorseless about setting the alarm and getting up in 90 minutes or less. It is better to keep going as long as possible and then go to bed early rather than sleep on arrival.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

8. Re: Navigo Découverte transportation Pass in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 06:16