We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camera Suggestions?

TX
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Camera Suggestions?

Not sure this is the right place for this question so please forgive me if it's inappropriate to post here but I thought perhaps many of you would have some insight. We are heading to Paris in September (also NY this month!) and I do not think it will be a good idea to lug my clunky DSLR all over NY and Paris. I do however want good quality photos of the sights as well as the people I am travelling with. I am looking for a small camera that will take very good quality photos. Something that will fit in my purse would be great but I am not sure if those tiny cameras are too limited? Do any of you here any recommendations for a good camera that is good for travel? Thanks!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Camera Suggestions?

Do you have a specific budget in mind? While certainly not cheap for a compact, the recent Sony RX100 III tops its class (at least if you are not looking for a wide range zoom).

TX
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Camera Suggestions?

No, to be honest I hadn't given too much thought to budget - my husband is not too keen on the idea of purchasing another camera since I do have one he thinks will work just fine so the less I spend on it the better. I definitely don't want to go over $500. If I can get a good one for less even better! We had a Sony cybershot years ago before we moved to DSLR and we loved it!

Edited: 15 July 2014, 20:30
Level Contributor
8,339 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camera Suggestions?

Sony RX100 either 11 or 111 (latest version). I'm not sure but I think the 11 has better zoom...all depends what you want so compare them. I was put onto this camera by B and H in New York as a good option for travel camera and what impresses me is the Zeiss lens which is one of the top brands. Sony and Zeiss have a joint venture with many of the Sony cameras. Price is good on both with the 11 being somewhat less expensive because the 111 just came out. DP Review is a good place to look at the reviews and they have a forum for camera questions.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Camera Suggestions?

For a 500 USD budget, the G16 is quite good, though it does not bring a lot of enhancements on the G15, which can be found for 370 USD.

Indeed, you could check DPreviews for suggestions, they have (somewhat) recently released a shortlist of recommended compacts for enthusiast photographers.

dpreview.com/articles/0445208298/dpreview-re…

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,806 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camera Suggestions?

I've been using an Olympus Tough type camera for general use. It's small enough to fit in a patch-pocket, takes great photos, and can be dropped with, so far, no damage. I even take underwater photos with it. It's good to about 17 feet. But I actually prefer to lug my big DLSR around.

Pjk

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,951 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camera Suggestions?

Take a camera you already know how to use. Nothing ruins your enjoyment of your photos more than arriving home with a camera full of "quirky" pix

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camera Suggestions?

I have a very nice little Panasonic Lumix that was about $250 several months ago and fits in a pocket. (I've forgotten the name/number.) Can be used as an idiot camera but also offers a lot of control. Its a 20x zoom. It isn't a "serious" camera but its discreet and is a good travel camera. My "bigger" camera is the Lumix Z200, which also goes in a pocket--if a bigger pocket! That's got a 30x zoom and f2.8 aperture at all focus distances.

Edited: 15 July 2014, 21:44
Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camera Suggestions?

I second the Lumix Z200, I have its Leica equivalent and it feels like a DSLR (viewfinder included)

If you want something smaller that REALLY fits in a pocket the Lumix TZ40 and its 35mm equivalent 20-480mm zoom (love the wide angle for street pictures) (Leica equivalent is V-Lux40)

Level Contributor
8,339 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camera Suggestions?

yymca6...is that the Lumix FZ200? and can you tell me the Leica model? I have to have a viewfinder and they are getting more difficult to find. Thanks.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camera Suggestions?

If you have a recent smartphone, the camera on that should be more than sufficient for casual photography.

I have a Panasonic Lumix, which is one of the most popular point-and-shoot digital cameras. However, I find that the gap between DSLRs and smartphones—the gap filled by P&S cameras—is disappearing, such that it's more and more a choice between a DSLR for serious photography and a smartphone for casual photography. These days I take out the former if I'm going out specifically and exclusively to take pictures, whereas the smartphone is always with me for casual shots. The Lumix often gets squeezed out and stays at home.