We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Remaining stones from The Bastille?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
150 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Remaining stones from The Bastille?

I've read that a couple sections of the foundations have survived and are found in the park off the Boulevard Henri IV? When I look on a map this looks very close to the Seine. I thought the Bastille stood more in the area of the Place de la Bastille somewhere near the July column.

Are there any other remaining ruins from this very historical structure? I love to visit places with lots of history when I am in Paris, especially related to the revolution.

Thank you for any information.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
489 reviews
from US$73.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Remaining stones from The Bastille?

Interesting question! I have not heard of these sections of foundations. I do know that when you are at Place de La Bastille, look in the road for paving stones that outline of the Bastille prison. Here is an article of interest:

mentalfloss.com/article/57792/11-remnants-ba…

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Remaining stones from The Bastille?

Bonjour, Grace,

Please see the excerpt below from Wikipedia:

MrsJAS

Due to its destruction after 1789, very little remains of the Bastille in the 21st century.[103] During the excavations for the Métro underground train system in 1899, the foundations of the Liberté Tower were uncovered and moved to the corner of the Boulevard Henri IV and the Quai de Celestins, where they can still be seen today.[223] The Pont de la Concorde contains stones reused from the Bastille.[224]

Some relics of the Bastille survive: the Carnavalet Museum holds objects including one of the stone models of the Bastille made by Palloy and the rope ladder used by Latude to escape from the prison roof in the 18th century, while the mechanism and bells of the prison clock are exhibited in Musée Européen d'Art Campanaire at L'Isle-Jourdain.[225] The key to the Bastille was given to George Washington in 1790 by Lafayette and is displayed in the historic house of Mount Vernon.[226] The Bastille's archives are now held by the Bibliothèque nationale de France.[227]

The Place de la Bastille still occupies most of the location of the Bastille, and the Opéra Bastille was built on the square in 1989 to commemorate the bicentennial anniversary of the storming of the prison.[216] The surrounding area has largely been redeveloped from its 19th-century industrial past. The ditch that originally linked the defences of the fortress to the River Seine had been dug out at the start of the 19th century to form the industrial harbour of the Bassin de l'Arsenal, linked to the Canal Saint Martin, but is now a marina for pleasure boats, while the Promenade Plantée links the square with redeveloped parklands to the east.[228]

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Remaining stones from The Bastille?

The stones from the Bastille were, quite sensibly, recycled. Pont de la Concorde was built using masonry from the prison.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Remaining stones from The Bastille?

There are some foundation stones still in pace on the platform for line 5, direction Bobigny-Pablo Picasso

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Remaining stones from The Bastille?

Yes I have read the Wikipedia article, saw the Polloy model in Musee Carnavalet (awesome!) and also read about the recycling.

If you look at the Wikipedia article, there is a picture of remaining stones still visible on Boulevard Henry IV. This is what I would love to see on my next visit. Is this close to the Place de Bastille July Column?

I will also look for the stones on the platform for line 5.

When I was just there in June we visited the column, but didn't take the time to look for the remains. I will be sure to next time. What amazing history lies here.

Also fascinating that the Key to the Bastille was given to George Washington by Lafayette (one of my favorite French historical figures) and is at Mt Vernon.

Edited: 15 July 2014, 21:47
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Remaining stones from The Bastille?

Ah I see why I'm confused. The stones in the picture behind the chain link fence were moved from their original location to a park near the river. That explains it. Too bad its not in its original place but I guess they moved it for building of the metro.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Remaining stones from The Bastille?

There are stones from the foundation of one of the towers of the Bastille in Square Henri-Galli, but that is not where the Bastille actually stood. The stones were discovered during the construction of the metro under rue Saint-Antoine and moved to this park.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Remaining stones from The Bastille?

As WizardofAus said, there is a piece of the original structure still in place in the métro station at Bastille, line-5, direction - Bobigny. It's actually an archaeological site that was left in place for the public to see every time they board the métro on that line.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Remaining stones from The Bastille?

I will definitely check it out on my next visit. Sure wish I could head back today! There is so much I want badly to see. I have been spending a lot of time learning more 18th century French history. For some reason (my father was a Frenchman whose ancestors came from France to Quebec so maybe its inherited)

I am obsessed with all things related to the revolution. Even learned one ancestor went to the guillotine; he was a royalist!

Anyway, I found an amazing map/drawing from 1730. It shows exactly where The Bastille stood.

cultureandstuff.com/2011/…

ireland
Level Contributor
976 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Remaining stones from The Bastille?

That is wonderful grace c, thank you.