We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reluctantly asking about a restaurant

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,375 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Reluctantly asking about a restaurant

Hello,

I am reluctant to even ask this question; I don't want to waste anyone's time. However, I think I need something to aim for, even if it doesn't work out.

Notre famille will be in Paris for 22 hours next Monday after an overnight flight. We have a hotel booked at CDG and onward flights at 7:30 the next morning, so its not going to be a late night in Paris for us.

We are aiming for the Eiffel Tower and surrounds, and may walk over to the Pont d'Alma to pick up a Bateau Mouche. Wasn't able to get pre-booked tickets for ET, not sure if we will dog the line to go up or not - will decide when we get there based on weather/length of line/how much energy we have.

I plan to pop out of the Metro at the AdT/Champs Ellyse for a short look around, but that's it. I'm expecting we are going to be too tired to do much more than a quick look. Paris, and France, will be another trip for us.

However, I would like a recommendation for dinner. Kids are 12 & 14, 14 yr old is really fussy eater, so a menu with options is important, but DH and I don't want to eat at an American chain restaurant. She can live on salad and bread, so we can probably find something to make it work.

Given the area we are heading, can anyone suggest a restaurant that we might aim for? We may be so utterly washed out that we might have a look around the Champs de Mars and head back to the hotel for an afternoon sleep and end up out at CDG for dinner (hence my reluctance) but if I could have one or two places in my back pocket, it would be much appreciated.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
489 reviews
from US$73.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
584 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reluctantly asking about a restaurant

My 13 year old son's favorite restaurant is Le Petit Chatelet, next door to Shakespeare and Company. They have nice steak au poivre and roast chicken. Their "steak frites" steak doesn't look as good as the steak au poivre. My son's favorite meal there is lamb kebab with fries and salad.

He also loves Les Deux Magots - it's a classic literary cafe with photos of people like Hemingway sitting above the booth the author is pictured in. He likes the simple cafe food there - either salad crottin chaud (warm goat cheese on toast over salad) or the croque monsieur (sort of a grilled ham and cheese sandwich).

It should be easy to find simple meals like roast chicken or steak. But be ware hamburgers - they don't taste like burgers in the US and my son has rejected several burgers in Europe for tasting "weird"

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,098 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reluctantly asking about a restaurant

Just across from Notre Dame on the Left Bank is L'Elcuse Grands-Augustins which might work ---> http://www.lecluse-restaurant-paris.fr/

Pjk

Edited: 16 July 2014, 18:57
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,375 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reluctantly asking about a restaurant

I suspect the difference in the beef may be that its grass fed rather than grain fed, I'm not sure. Yes, I remember that from my own childhood - discovering the beef tastes different. Its funny how, as an adult, I can't seem to tell.

I don't know if we'll get as far down as Notre Dame, but I'll make a note of it.Thank you. I'll see if I can find the other two on a map and save them for reference. My exciting new skill for this trip is the ability to save Google maps for offline use. Very handy function.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,375 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reluctantly asking about a restaurant

(and there's no way she'd touch a lamb kabob, wouldn't eat a croque monsieur, steak and fries maybe, a salad would be good, but definitely without the goat cheese. LOL I've given up. I order her a salad and a bread roll. At least she loves croissants!)

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,309 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reluctantly asking about a restaurant

Are you going to take the RER into Paris? Or a taxi?

If you use the RER, then you might really want to consider exploring an area near one of the stops, like the St Michel station, where you could see Notre Dame (and catch a Seine cruise near Pont Neuf). The Luxembourg Gardens are near, some quaint areas of the Latin Quarter (many options for food), the Seine/views. This would eliminate the need for more commuting (from RER to a metro to get to another area).

If you are taking a taxi, it won't matter, obviously, because you can get dropped off at the Eiffel Tower.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reluctantly asking about a restaurant

I too think you could take the RER to St Michel, see Notre Dame and take the Seine boat ride -- you'll see the Eiffel Tower and many other sights. Staying up a bit and being outdoors is the best remedy for jetlag and being tired. You can then decide if you want to eat in that area or not.

FYI at CDG in terminal 2F is a Brasserie Flo. It's been several years but I have had several very nice meals there before flights. It will give me more of a 'traditional' French brasserie experience. Not sure if the quality is now as good as I remember.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,375 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reluctantly asking about a restaurant

Good tips, thanks. DD has listed the Eiffel Tower as her must see, so we will trek around on the Metro to get there. :) I got complaints after a previous trip that our itineraries are all about the stuff I want to do (well, duh! I'm doing all the planning too!) so I delegated this time. DD didn't get too far with planning Paris, but she did make an effort, so I will honour her request.

Yes, we are planning to use the RER. Its all part of the experience. We have almost no mass transit in Vancouver by comparison, so the Metro experience will be quite something for them.

But I'm getting the feeling that everyone thinks that we really ought to head to the St. Michel area to eat? Ok, duly noted. Like I say, I'm not over planning the day, going to take it as it comes, but I want to have some options in my back pocket that I can pull out and use depending on where we end up. I appreciate the tip for the Brasserie at the airport as well.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reluctantly asking about a restaurant

My son was/is the craziest picky eater. I am frankly SHOCKED that he ordered, ate and enjoyed lamb kebabs. Or duck magret. Or pigeon. Or goat cheese. He loves the food in Paris, so much more than the food at home. Here, it's hard to get him to eat. There, he'll order food that shocks me!!

Well worst case scenario, grab your daughter a sandwich at a Paul restaurant - like Paris' version of Subway - really good sandwiches on baguettes, to go.

There's sidewalk crepes that might fill her up and make her happy.

Most cafes should have salads. And maybe a baguette filled with ham and cheese.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reluctantly asking about a restaurant

I don't think you need to trek over to the St-Michel area at all. There are plenty of great places to eat right there in the 7ème near the Tour Eiffel. I used to stay in that area all the time with my kids, every year from the time they were infants until they were in their late teens. We loved the Auberge de Bressane, Le Florimond (that might not work with your daughter's limitations), Punjab for Indian, La Terrasse on the Place Ecole Militaire, Le Bistro de Mars, D'Chez Eux, the Vietnames restaurant on the Avenue Duquesne just south of the Place Ecole Militaire....there are loads of good places. My kids' favorite, though, was always Pizza Tina, run by a hilarious Sicilian family. They had great pizza and pasta and salads.

Just be sure to stay away from the Café du Marché on the rue Cler.

Edited: 16 July 2014, 20:37
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
846 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reluctantly asking about a restaurant

I'm afraid my memory is at least 5 years out of date, but I recall le 7eme Vin being not too far of a walk from the Eiffel Tower: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d1…

(and if that one doesn't appeal, there were a few other choices on that same street, I believe)