We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Fait Maison" - anyone notice anything different yet?

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
"Fait Maison" - anyone notice anything different yet?

I guess the law went into place yesterday.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Fait Maison" - anyone notice anything different yet?

my understanding is that the menu is pretty much the only place you're going to see a change.

The law still allows someone to buy a package of industrial pastry, empty a can of fruit into the middle of it, bake it onsite, and still call it fait maison.

There's no guarantee of quality with the new term.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Fait Maison" - anyone notice anything different yet?

Oh I hadn't read it allowed that. I thought the only really questionable thing it allowed was industrial sauce bases.

I did read that McDonalds can call many of their items "fait maison", which is discouraging.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
486 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Fait Maison" - anyone notice anything different yet?

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28313666

Interesting write-up on the new regulation.....

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,016 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Fait Maison" - anyone notice anything different yet?

I took a cooking class at the Ritz given by the head of the cooking school. He recommended using oie crust from Picard. He showed us that its made from pure butter and has no unnecessary ingredients.

And many three stars work with meals they have made, then vacuum packed to ensure consistent quality.

As for guaranteeing quality, my downstairs café makes everything in house. The chef is horrible and the food inedible.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Fait Maison" - anyone notice anything different yet?

Laws in France are mostly about posturing - nothing much comes from something like this, since no real harm is being done to anyone. Unlike other laws that affect quality of life issues, such as health and housing, etc.

It's an insult to someone's intelligence - and wallet - to present industrial products as "fait maison", but these foods have been used in France since Napoleon's cooks invented modern canning methods - and long before that, when cave-dwellers in the Dordogne were drying haunches of wooly mammoth over woodsmoke. Somebody got the bright idea to use them in his/her restaurant, a little later on, during the winter or during war-time, et voila! When the economy stinks, which is often, people resort to cost-saving measures, so that they can stay in business. Sometimes this works well enough, because they take care to "improve" things a bit, but often - and sadly - people end up with a poor dining experience. This law means well, but it has no "teeth".

Some places with "name" chefs - or excellent press agents - will undoubtedly milk this new law for all it's worth. But there's no way the city can provide the manpower to enforce it, so caveat emptor. Aside from the few places I go to - precisely because I have seen the morning deliveries and have an open view of the tiny kitchens (which have no freezers) - the only "fait maison" I can be certain of will be the stuff that comes from my own kitchen.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Fait Maison" - anyone notice anything different yet?

and phread, that pre-made and vacuum-packed would still qualify as fait maison in my book, as would Patty's cave-smoked mammoth.

The intent of the law is to eliminate the practice that Chartier was busted for a few years ago -- going down to the grocery, buying an industrial TV dinner, then nuking it on a plate and charging €20 a head for it.

But I also wholeheartedly agree with Phread -- there's no guarantee that it's going to be good, even if it was made in-house from scratch!

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Fait Maison" - anyone notice anything different yet?

Interesting - thank you all for the interesting (albeit somewhat disappointing) comments. So often laws that look like they could do something end up being hot air due to loopholes.

I keep hearing Picard has excellent ingredients. But honestly, the last thing I want to do on vacation is cook! I certainly agree with vacuum packing homemade food, I do it myself since our family is so small.

And it's certainly true the "fait maison" can be bad - I've proved that theory myself ;-)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Fait Maison" - anyone notice anything different yet?

and me? The whole reason we rent self-catering properties in France is because I love to shop at the markets and cook the local specialties.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Fait Maison" - anyone notice anything different yet?

Frozen and sliced potatoes were excluded from the home cooked rules because otherwise McDonald's could have claimed that half of its menu is home cooked.

Allonsee
Level Contributor
845 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Fait Maison" - anyone notice anything different yet?

Sunshine, I am with you on that. I based my choice of apartments on my honeymoon merely on the amenities in the kitchen. I couldn't wait to get shopping and cooking.