We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montmartre report

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
454 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Montmartre report

I did the Rick Steves Montmarte walk yesterday. It was a nice day, and I saw lots of interesting things. However if Rick said, "Now go back UP the hill," one more time, I was going to track him down and beat him! LOL

The walk includes the studio where Renoir, Picasso, and others painted, as well as Toulouse-Lautrec's house, and Van Gogh's house. There are couple of museums on the route (Dali, etc.) that you can stop into, but they had entrance fees so I passed on those.

I took the metro to Anvers, then caught the funicular up to Sacré Coeur. You see all the same stuff on the walk back down, without having to do so much climbing. However, there is still some climbing involved, even using the funicular. The interior of Sacré Coeur is spectacular, by the way. There are a multitude of gorgeous mosaics.

The highlight of the day was lunch at a restaurant recommended by Rick Steves. It is called Chez Plumeau, and is located off the southwest corner of Place du Tertre. It's a quiet little oasis, and has great friendly service and free Wi-Fi. There is a tree that grows up and provides the entire roof of the terrace, so the ambience is lovely. An entree and glass of wine ran just under 15 euros.

Another great day in Paris! We are headed to Versailles today, so will report on that tomorrow.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montmartre report

Thanks for your report - will be interesting to hear about Versailles. Bring a hat or umbrella - you will need shade, out there.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,397 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montmartre report

We discovered Chez Plumeau a few years ago and have been back on every trip ever since ---> tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187147-d110…

Pjk

Level Contributor
7,880 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montmartre report

Love Chez Plumeau but sort of disappointed that it is in the Rick Steves guide...his finds are often very good but tend to become overrun after time.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montmartre report

Great timing. I was just reading the details of this Walk in my Rick Steves travel guide. So glad to read someone else's experience, and that it worked out well. Will be visiting next month. I have found the Rick Steves travel guides helpful...although the Germans seem to detest him when mentioned on those forums -Lol

Paris, France
Level Contributor
402 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Montmartre report

Thanks for the report! Montmartre is an interesting area if people make an effort to wander around and see more than just Place du Tertre, and Sacré Cœur.

As for Rick Steves, I'd never heard of him, or his guidebooks until seeing lots of people peering at them in Paris. I'm sure he has some good suggestions, but the things I have noticed about said holders of his guidebooks (and indeed anyone wandering around clutching any guidebook with that characteristic mix of desperation, confusion, and determination) is that:

1. it seems to be more about doing exactly what he says, going/eating where he recommends, rather than using it as the basis for some independent exploration of an unfamiliar but beautiful and diverse city, which is a great great pity in my opinion (but I know it works for some people).

2. If he mentions somewhere where "locals" hang out (and I assume he does this, like all guidebooks do), then it will rapidly be over-run by tourists, which is good for said business, obviously, but not so good for the locals, or those thinking they are finding somewhere 'off the beaten path'.

3. People seem to think that everything in a guidebook is the unassailable and static truth, when in reality, things change, menus change, waiters change, chefs change, places change, and I am sure that despite what they claim, writers of guidebooks are offered all kinds of inducements (and probably happily accept them too) in order to facilitate a positive mention...

Why wouldn't anyone detest Rick Steves guide users when they hold up the ticket line by arguing about the price of entry to a tourist attraction, apparently they should pay the old price because "...Rick Steves says it's X euros, not Y euros..." (admittedly I have only seen this once, and it is far from representative of the usual users, but still, not a good look).

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
298 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Montmartre report

Great post, Oz.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montmartre report

Ditto. I will surely take those comments into consideration :-)

Edited: 17 July 2014, 19:32
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Montmartre report

I used to dislike Rick, and am annoyed by his belief there is nothing to see in my birth town, but I warmed up to him after seeing a documentary where he mentioned that his photographer has to take photos of paintings and sculptures while avoiding nudity, as one has to spare American sensibilities..

Fair enough... but 19th century wealthy English families sent their young sons and daughters to Florence etc. to make sure they learned what is what..

…wordpress.com/2011/12/firenze-piazza-della-…

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Montmartre report

Love Rick Steves. I've been an independent (and solo) traveler since a teenager. I take Rick everywhere go since his books came out and never had an unsuccessful trip. Rock on Steve!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,397 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Montmartre report

We prefer the DK eyewitness books for various cities and I'm certainly not going to carry and refer to an additional book to see what not to do or where to go.

Pjk