We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris in August

NYC
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Paris in August

My husband, my teenage daughter (17) and I will be spending 8 days in Paris. We've booked the Eiffel Tower. What other sights do you recommend? Also, is it possible to see Normandy in a day?

How about Monet's gardens? If so, what tours do you recommend?

Thanks

Luxembourg Palace
Castles, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Architectural Buildings, Gardens
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris in August

tata, get yourself a guidebook or two and read up on TA and other internet sites. Surely there must be a reason, other than the Eiffel Tower, you chose to go to Paris. What was it? At any rate, educate yourself about what there is to see and do, choose the things that interest YOU, then come back with a plan that we will happily hep you refine. While you're at it, get a map, too, so you can familiarize yourself with the layout of the city.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris in August

Normandy is a region, or state, like Massachusetts. Is it possible to see Massachusetts in a day - sure, well some of it. It's some driving or train travel, but you might see something. Even the D-Day beaches are spread way out over much of he Normandy coast, probably like trying to see "the Connecticut coast" in one day. But seeing 1 of the five d-day beaches is probably doable. There is a company called Overlord Tours, and they have a website, as well as a half-day tour.

Giverny is an easier, more feasible one-day tour and it's very popular. Other good day trips include Versailles, Chartres, Riems, Rouen.

But St Cirq is right, you need to get a guide book, read it, and see what is most interesting to your family

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,103 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris in August

France Tourisme offers some affordable tours, including a half-day one to Monet's house and gardens in Giverny:

www.francetourisme.fr/giverny-monet-en.html

or, you can go on your own:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k550130…

and here is a link to an online guidebook to Paris, for more info:

frommers.com/destinations/paris/658407#sthas…

NYC
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris in August

We do have a guide book and intend on visiting the Louvre, Notre Dame and Versailles. We're also thinking about a cruise along the Seine. I'm waiting for a street map of Paris that I ordered online.

Gardendale, Alabama
Level Contributor
73 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris in August

We took a guided trip on a bus with a whole lot of people and it was great. We left really early in the morning and slept on the bus. The only thing we saw was Mont St Michel and spent half day there with a tour guide giving us the history of the place. Then we left and came right back to Paris. It took about 5 hours, I think, to get there and 5 hours back. We got back to Paris at about 11:00 PM. Just so you know. I don't remember the name of the tour company that we dealt with but they were good. I hope this helps.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris in August

tata - My advice is to make sure your hotel or apartment has air conditioning.

Just my opinion, but I would not take 3 days to go outside of Paris. If you are already planning on leaving Paris to go to Versailles, Giverny (Monet's Garden) I would not take another day to go to Normandy. That would be a whole and long day. Versailles probably is about 3/4 of a day but you can still eat dinner in Paris. Giverny isn't as long and you can still have some time in Paris afterwards. But, maybe that's just me. I find too much to see and do in Paris.

NYC
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris in August

I've looked up some day trips to Normandy from Paris. One takes you by tour bus and the other sends you by rail. They are both quite costly. Are there any suggestions?

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris in August

Let your daughter join in too, let her loose on the internet, or show her some pictures of famous attractions and that can help to make her feel involved and excited too. :)

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris in August

Definitely ask your daughter. Other choices nearby include the town where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake, or the town where Van Gogh died, or Giverny.

NJ
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris in August

No need to wait for a street map of Paris. Check out Google Maps. Put in an address or a landmark and click on Streetview and start exploring - you will love it!