We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Segway Tour & Hop on hop off bus or bike tour?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
942 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Segway Tour & Hop on hop off bus or bike tour?

Hello (or should I say Bonjour)!

My bf and I will be visiting Paris in early September. I was there about 12 years ago with a big group tour so I am very excited to come back with my honey and not be on the same student budget as before. He's been 5 times and speaks French. We are both in our 30's with no kids ...

So I do want to do the touristy stuff since it's been so long since I've seen everything I want to experience it again and hopefully appreciate it in a new way.

So my idea was to do either the Segway tour, Hop on hop off bus, or a bike tour our 1st day in Paris to get our bearings and get to see as much as possible. Then obviously come back on the next day to really see the sites that interest us. I think doing all 3 tours, or even 2 tours might be overkill so I am wondering which one do you think would be best for us?

P.S. We are only in Paris for 4 days but 1 day we are going to Disney. Also any other fun recommendations for us would be greatly appreciated! :) Looking for romantic ideas as well as fun! :)

The Green Way
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours
Logic Way
Segway Tours
Universal Tour Guide
Cultural Tours, Segway Tours, Multi-day Tours, Walking Tours
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,973 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Segway Tour & Hop on hop off bus or bike tour?

I *never* like to do riding tours on my first day. When I have jet lag, getting on a bus or moving vehicle will just lull me to sleep. On my first day, I focus on wandering around the neighborhoods near the hotel, getting fresh air and taking in my environment. Stay awake until at leas 8:30 if you can, and the next day you should be pretty much over jet lag.

I only took a hoho bus once, in London and I'll never waste my money on that again. First, they're expensive. Secondly, they wait for a really long time at every stop, so the tour takes 2 to 3 times as long as it should take. Some friends of mine took the Foxity tour of Paris and enjoyed it. The closest thing I have taken to a tour is having a taxi drive around Concorde and the Arc de Triomphe on the way to the hotel.

I have heard great things about the segway tour, but personally I wouldn't do it on the first day.

I find riding a bike in Paris to be a little nerve racking myself. But if you're used to riding bikes in a city that sometimes has cobblestones and uneven pavement, as well as fast drivers and fast bike riders. you might enjoy it.

My favorite thing to do in Paris is walk around different neighborhoods and just wander.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
102 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Segway Tour & Hop on hop off bus or bike tour?

I have done the Segway tour twice and liked it, but I wouldn't say it gives a great overview of Paris. It starts and ends near the Eiffel Tower and makes a big loop over to the Louvre and back. Take a look at their website and see if the tour is as comprehensive as you'd like.

I've not done a bike tour nor the HOHO, but we utilize the velib bike system a lot. I agree with Tracie that it's kind of hard to stay awake sitting on a bus the first day. We like to get out and walk around. Why not look into one of the walking tours that are available?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,709 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Segway Tour & Hop on hop off bus or bike tour?

Totally recommend a bike tour, I love doing them! I have used Fat Tire and enoyed them.

Segway tours are pricey and don't cover as much ground. So while " fun" they don't give you as much lay of the land.

Hoho is not terrible in Paris, I have done them twice with my kids, but we r in London now and they are total crap here! Total crap.

If you choose hoho try L 'Open tours ( green and yellow bus) ,the two day pass is only a few euros more.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
31 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Segway Tour & Hop on hop off bus or bike tour?

Hello,

Please let me emphasize that my question (following) is NOT criticism of your choice, but only curiosity. That said, if you are coming to Paris from Disney's backyard, why go to Disneyland, thereby trading time for uniquely Parisian experience for what is, when all is said and done, still a newer version of Disneyland. I completely understand it's attractions (especially for families with children) for anyone except American tourists, but I just can't figure out why someone who lives in the US.

Again... I am not attacking your choice, so please do not feel the need to defend it. I am only asking for a point of view. (~:

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
942 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Segway Tour & Hop on hop off bus or bike tour?

Sorry I guess I should have given more information about my trip. I'll actually be in Zurich the week before Paris (my bf lives there) so jet lag shouldn't be an issue. I travel a lot for work and pleasure and I usually have no issues with jet lag. I think I was trying to cover as much ground with one of the above mentioned tours so we could get a good overview of everything. Then we would go back and walk around the areas that peaked our interests.

Audrey -- I am not at all offended with your question. Growing up in Southern CA I have probably been to Disneyland 50+ times (I used to have an annual pass there and my sister used to work there) We go there to celebrate friends b-days, we take out of town visitors there, needless to say I've been there plenty. With that being said I am curious of the differences of how Disney looks in the states compared to how it looks in Paris. Just like I've seen the Eiffel Tower before in Paris, but that does not stop me from going to see the Eiffel Tower when I'm in Las Vegas. I just like to see the differences and appreciate them. Maybe I am weird in that way?

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,973 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Segway Tour & Hop on hop off bus or bike tour?

If everyone liked only the same thing, the world would be a boring place.

7. Re: Segway Tour & Hop on hop off bus or bike tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 06:15