We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do alone in Paris

Lund, Sweden
1 post
Save Topic
Things to do alone in Paris

I am going to Paris soon and will spend alot of time alone, any tips on things to do during the day in Paris? I am going to just stroll around alot and relax, so I am kinda looking for stuff to do that is relaxing but still nice.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do alone in Paris

I'm also a lot alone in Paris.

During day I work however, so my tips are for the evenings...

I use a lot velibs, it is very easy especially alone as sometimes it is difficult ot find several cycles at same station. This allows me to travel fast and far and seeing a lot of places.

Then I go into libraries, stuff like that. Eat at restaurants (with a good book) or go to movie or spectacles.

Favourite is just to stroll around, as you said. If soon is within one month, go to Paris plage, it is a very nice place to lose a few hours.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
735 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do alone in Paris

I like checking the Paris Walks schedule to see if anything catches my eye: http://www.paris-walks.com/

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do alone in Paris

You do exactly the same things that you would do if you had a companion.... Visit museums & tourist sites. Enjoy meals. Spend time people-watching. Shop for souvenirs. Take day trips out of the city. Stroll scenic neighborhoods. Luckily, none of these things are travel-companion dependent!

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do alone in Paris

Exactly what rigbyjack said. What do you think you might not do alone?

Edited: 24 July 2014, 22:51
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do alone in Paris

I love being alone in Paris. I stroll through street markets & market streets, pop into museums, sit in cafes, visit churches. Even when I'm not shopping I like to visit small shops and some of the larger department stores for their rooftop terraces. I stroll the banks of the Seine and take an hour Seine cruise. I always visit Shakespeare and Company. I no longer go up the Eiffel Tower but I always have to take a walk to see it. I always visit Notre Dame. I get on the Metro and pick a random stop to just get out and walk around. Love to just sit and people watch whether in a park or in a cafe or restaurants, or just on a bench somewhere. I find that I walk for hours.

The beauty is that I can do all that, and more, without consulting someone else to see if it's what they want to do :)

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do alone in Paris

My thoughts exactly, as well. I don't do anything different when I'm alone from what I do when I'm not, with the possible (but rare) exception of going to a French movie.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,949 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do alone in Paris

Oliver L,

i dont know about you, but i can do "strolling and relaxing" at home for alot less $$$

but i hope you went to Paris to do more then just "stroll and relax"?

Even thought i can see the appeal, i spent a lot of time and $$$ seeing what Paris has to offer in terms of Museums, attractions and things i cant see at home. To me strolling is like breathing. You cant help it but to do it to get from one place to another.

good luck on your trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do alone in Paris

Museums and churches are always good or even better when alone. However the things to avoid are walking along the Seine or any of the "romantic" spots - always full of couples and newly weds and I find this depressing sometimes.

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do alone in Paris

Oh please don't avoid walking along the Seine! I do it all the time -- alone -- and it is magnificent. I can't imagine being depressed because someone else is enjoying the company of a loved one.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do alone in Paris

I agree, Nuts. Unless you're getting over a broken heart, walking along the Seine is one of the greatest pleasures of Paris.