We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Fabric

Tallahassee,FL
Level Contributor
60 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Fabric

I'm excited to say I've narrowed our hotel down to Hotel Fabric! The reviews look awesome. Is it a good place for first timers?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Fabric

Have not stayed here, and don't know anyone who has - but the area is interesting, and there's lots of stuff to do nearby The hotel will likely give you lots of suggestions, and you should also do a Google search for "things to do in:" these areas: Oberkampf, Republique, Canal St Martin.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,796 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Fabric

generally it is fine, but what type of area are you seeking?

Tallahassee,FL
Level Contributor
60 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Fabric

I'm travelling with a group and it's our first time in Paris. We would like something mid range with a fitness facility close to a metro and main sites. Does Fabric fit the bill @innamontreal & @patty

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Fabric

I thought you had already decided on this hotel, and were looking for things to do in the area...guess not.

Looks like a cute hotel, should appeal to young women.

The fitness center is very tiny, so don't expect much, in that regard.

You are within 10 mins walk of each of the nearest 3 Metro stations, and they are not the most convenient lines, so you will have to make connections, if you want to see the usual attractions.

The immediate neighborhood is working class, and not much touristy stuff around, except for an open-air market a couple of days a week.

If I were a first-time visitor, I would choose a hotel in "tourist central", instead, where you will find the things you came to Paris to see, in the first place.

The chain hotels aren't as exciting, but they will have fitness centers that are slightly larger than the one at Hotel Fabric - I don't think your whole group could fit in there at one time.

But with all the walking around tourists do, they don't usually feel the need to work out more than that.

I would look in another part of town - I think you'd be happier in the 1st through 6th arrondissements, like most first time visitors are. Just don't get your hopes up too high about the fitness center, though.

Tallahassee,FL
Level Contributor
60 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Fabric

Thank you patty! I was settled on this hotel but the reviews were mixed on the location so I wanted some opinions. I'm very confused about the Arrnd. and exactly where central is.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Fabric

You're welcome gatorj - I guess you have taken a look at a map of Paris? If you haven't, it will help you figure this out really quickly. Don't depend on hotel descriptions of the neighborhoods - they are notorious for "pushing the boundaries", and saying things like, "steps from Notre Dame", etc, when nothing could be further than the truth. Check the last 2 digits of the Postal Code in the address, to verify the actual arrondissement.

The arrondissements are set up in a spiral shape, with the "center" being roughly the 1st through 6th arrondissements. If you don't have a map handy, Google, "Paris arrondissements map", and it will come up. Narrow your hotel search by arrondissement, then price, then other amenities.

Come back with a short list, and I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.

Edited: 25 July 2014, 22:16
Tallahassee,FL
Level Contributor
60 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Fabric

Thank you Patty!!

Tallahassee,FL
Level Contributor
60 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Fabric

Patty which side of the Seine would you recommend?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Fabric

gatorj - both sides of the Seine are fine, and the arrondissements I mentioned are on both sides of the river.

You seriously need to look at a map, so you can see what I have been trying to explain to you.

Believe me, it will be a lot easier if you do this.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,796 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Fabric

here is a link to a map of Paris, scroll down to the bigger more detailed map with arrondissements and main sites indicated:

plandeparis.info/plans-paris/arrondissements…

Notre Dame is the epicentre of Paris and many famous sites are near it, although generally the sites are spread out but easy to get to by metro. Hotel you mentioned is near (about a 10 min walk) to République metro hub, which is always a plus ..and you would be close to Marais and charming and popular St-Martin Canal and rue Oberkampf with busy bars/nightlife… but much depends on what you are looking for

La Madeleine and Opéra Garnier area is also close to many attractions and popular with shoppers and European tourists, while Americans seem to favour Marais (esp 4th), St-Germain and Latin Quarter (6th and 5th closer to Seine)