We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phones

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Phones

What is the best thing to do about using an android phone in france?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phones

verizons instructions were bad, for me

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phones

You can take photos, play games while waiting in a queue, use it as an alarm clock to wake you up in the morning, apps. Sorry don't really understand your question??!!

Florida
Level Contributor
17,144 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phones

If it is unlocked you can buy a local SIM to use while you are there...

Enter "Lebara" in the forum search to get lots of discussion.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phones

Download MapsWithme and you have a handheld GPS device.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phones

Have no idea what you mean. What, exactly, is the question?

If you have an unlocked phone and a French SIM, you use it the same way you'd use it anywhere.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Phones

Has anybody had any experience using TravelSim or AussieSim in Europe, please?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,048 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phones

We have used TravelSIM and it is fine for phone calls. Our plan did not include data, as we always choose hotels that have free wi-fi.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phones

Walk into an Orange or Bouygues store and ask for a prepaid SIM and a "recharge" that includes voice and data and you are set. Leave your home network SIM ... at home.

As for free WiFi in hotels - be prepared for good and bad experiences. We stayed all over France and WiFi service is more of a hit and miss proposition. Did we care? No, just expect it.

That said, one night I really needed WiFi so I could spend an hour on the phone to North America cheaply to deal with something at work; fortunately that night WiFi was a "hit"

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phones

Check first with your home carrier and see what their roaming plans are for international travel. If the price isn't too ridiculous and your needs are modest, that may be all you need.

If the prices are high or you intend to use your phone heavily, you might want to look into buying a SIM prepaid in France. Orange and Bouygues are the two leading carriers in terms of network quality. All the major carriers offer multiple prepaid plans that give you a reasonable amount of voice calls (one or several hours), data (a few hundred megabytes), and texts at a reasonable price (a few dozen euro). It will still be more expensive than home, however. And your number will be different while you're in France, since you won't be roaming.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phones

If it's a GSM phone, why not just use it in France with roaming turned on? I do this all the time with mine, I'm not sure how it works with carriers in Australia but on AT&T here in the US, I can pre-pay for roaming voice and data so I know I won't get hit with a huge bill when I get home.