We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pick pockets.

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
367 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Pick pockets.

If you are a man going to Paris do not keep your wallet in a pants pocket. The 12 year old girl thieves will observe you putting it in a pocket and will cell phone their younger sister who will deftly remove it. Keep everything in a fanny pack at the front of your belly. Or zipped in a coat. I have been to cities all around the world and the Paris subway thieves are the worst. They won't confront you or use violence. But if you slip and use a pocket it will be all gone in a split second. Be forewarned.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,476 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pick pockets.

If you have been to Rome or Barcelona you would know its the same ( or worse ) there.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,103 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pick pockets.

A fanny pack isn't safe. There's videos showing how they will put a petition or newspaper in front of your face and even poke you in the belly with it while they lift the wallet from your fanny pack. They are skilled at what they do.

My husband has a wallet with a chain like this

amazon.com/gp/…

But usually instead he uses this to hold his iPad mini, his iPhone and his wallet.

amazon.com/Pacsafe-Luggage-Metrosafe-Shoulde…

He got this after his coworker had his wallet pickpocketed right after using the ATM on arrival at Gare du Nord.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Many people say to just pay attention and you should be fine, but my husband feels better with these precautions. Some people have said simply putting a rubber band around your wallet and keeping your wallet in your front pocket is enough to make it hard for pickpockets. But my husband can be a bit of an airhead sometimes, so he has the bag.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
10,813 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pick pockets.

I am sorry you have had it. I do keep my wallet in my pocket, but! I wear a high waist cut chinos ( dockers) or 501s, they have very deep pockets. Once there's a pack of cigs above my wallet, I feel safe.

We have been in Paris for 4 days now. So far it's ok. We shall see what tomorrow brings!

Yuri.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pick pockets.

<<Keep everything in a fanny pack at the front of your belly.>>

Terrible idea. Nothing screams "tourist! Here's all my valuables!" like a "fanny pack." Plus, they look like cr@p. Secure your valuables in zipped-up or locked compartments inside a purse or inside pocket of a vest or in a concealed money-holder if you must. Fanny packs are an invitation to theft - they can be unzipped in a heartbeat or even torn off you.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pick pockets.

St cirq me an you have got similar ideas across the oceans... right for one.. fanny pack means something different in Europe, but more importantly they draw attention and do not work, when out and about and this applies to any European city,be cool,be aware,be smarter than the average bear,god I'm good!! no don't be scared,don't draw attention to yourself,only carry enough cash for the day and if something extra comes along then use your credit card that you've already told your provider may be used in a country far,far away,all good so far,pickpockets pick a mark,might have been the way you checked your wallet in your back pocket,might have been the way you put your phone down for two seconds on a cafe table,but they will only win if you let your guard down.Keep any cash in a front denim/trouser pocket and your wallet in the other side, if you're totally paranoid,give your wife/partner/husband/parole officer/boyfriend/civil partner/aquaintance/friend enough to stick in their bra, for a taxi that will get you out of trouble in Paris,approximately 55 Euros,will get you from one side to the other and from city to airport and from big smoke to green fields, but d'you know what... all this is unneccessary, we are already clued up, we know the tricks that are waiting, we don't like them,but they are there and please,Americans,much as you don't think so,you are the most clued up,most conditioned sweet people around,you just think that everyone wants a pop at you,not true!! come to Europe,whether it's Paris,Berlin,London or Moscow,ok not Russia,but please don't think there are horrors in Europe,or at least, none worse than your own continent.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pick pockets.

Aloha from Kaua'i!

After having a hand in his front jeans pocket on the Metro on our first visit - my husband now wears his running shorts under his jeans and zips his wallet into those running shorts - with belted jeans on top!

So far it has worked - he will be doing the same again this Sept.!!

Malama Pono, (take care)

Janet

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pick pockets.

I like your thinking, stewboy.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
35,152 posts
872 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pick pockets.

Always a good warning.

Unfortunately, and as mentioned above, it is a common practice in other cities around the world. There is an active sub-culture, intent on separating YOU from your $, or £, or €. They might also not be "young girls," but older men, or maybe even youth, seemingly selling CD's. Lots of scams associated with pickpockets.

Travel safely, with both eyes wide open,

Hunt

9. Re: Pick pockets.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:16