We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris plus 3 nights

Ohio
Level Contributor
234 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Paris plus 3 nights

My 18 year old daughter and I will be traveling to Paris at the end of July/beginning of August. We are planning to spend 5 nights in Paris and would like to stay in another town 2-3 hours by train from Paris for 3 additional nights. What are your favorites and suggestions? We are not interested in wine tours.

Other than that, what are your thoughts? Thank you very much.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris plus 3 nights

There are so many possibilities, and I love them all: Strasbourg, Dijon, La Rochelle, Troyes, Avignon, Lyon, plus lots more. It does depend on what you want to do, but all you've said is what you don't I'd get the Michelin Green Guide to France - the whole country one - and start reading and narrowing it down.

You could also go to London, Amsterdam, Brussels or Bruges.

Edited: 26 July 2014, 03:18
Ohio
Level Contributor
234 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris plus 3 nights

Thanks for your suggestions. I am not sure what we would like to do.I think a smaller town with churches and gardens. My daughter loves art and cooking. I appreciate your ideas and you've offered many choices. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,316 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris plus 3 nights

Troyes is filled with attractive churches and lovely medieval houses. We enjoyed it greatly.

However, maybe consider somewhere for chateaux in the Loire, go to Brugges via train for somewhere very different or even train to Avignon for a taste of Provence.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
883 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris plus 3 nights

Colmar is "Little Venice" of France and a lovely place to visit. It is close to Strasbourg so the culture and food have a germanic ambience. Rouen is a historic town not far from Paris. I believe that we may take these two side trips at some point in our visit to Paris next spring. The TGV goes direct to Colmar via Strasbourg and the Paris to Rouen is by Intercity train for less than 20E so no TGV but it is only just over an hour.

Ohio
Level Contributor
234 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris plus 3 nights

Thanks. I do hate to say, we do not speak French. Of course, we are going to try to learn some before we go. Are there any problems with this in any of these areas? We are from the states, and my daughter can make her way around Spanish. Thanks.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,530 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris plus 3 nights

Hi

My son loved the visit to Normandy Beaches, tour of WWII sites. It was impactful for all of us. And you could combine that with a visit to Rouen.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
883 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris plus 3 nights

Please, Bon jour, thank you and where is the bathroom are good for starters. For words beyond the mandatory merci, which cannot be said enough, go to any Rick Steves book and find his list of words to learn and for common French idioms, go here. understandfrance.org/France/…ancrelearning. Most European children learn English from about age 5. 9 out of 10 Parisians speak English but trying your French first, gets the best response. My American, west coast accent is so bad that I have had Parisians put their fingers in their ears asking me to just speak English and they speak it back to me.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,885 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris plus 3 nights

Normally I'd suggest heading to your furthest destination at the beginning of your trip and ending in Paris in order to avoid an awkward last night in Paris before your flight home.

Ohio
Level Contributor
234 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris plus 3 nights

Thanks for the tips.

10. Re: Paris plus 3 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 06:15