We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant for my grandparents' 70th anniversary?

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
99 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant for my grandparents' 70th anniversary?

Hello helpful people,

My grandparents are coming to Europe (from the US) for their one and only overseas trip-of-a-lifetime in mid-August, and we're going to Paris to celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary (their dream). I want to find a restaurant for them, only I'm not sure where to look as their tastes/requirements are very different from mine. Can you help?

The restaurant needs to be:

1) Relatively inexpensive (mid-priced max)

2) Appropriate for 90-year-olds (not too loud, etc.)

3) Open at 5pm

4) But worthy of an anniversary dinner (atmospheric, good French food)

5) They requested near the river, if possible

I was thinking something Ile Saint-Louis...but then what there? Hard to find the places that might suit online...but perhaps someone who knows the city better can help? Or is there somewhere else you can recommend?

The other thing they would like to do is take a carriage ride. Does anyone know, is that something we need to arrange in advance, or can you just pick up carriages somewhere in the city. I was kind of hoping this might be a possibility for Montmartre, as I would really like to show them this area, but I worry they will have trouble with all the hills. If anyone could give any tips or inside intel on this, I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks!!!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant for my grandparents' 70th anniversary?

The only horse and carriage rides I've ever heard of are run by the tour company Viator, and they're pretty recent: viator.com/tours/…d479-3061HORSE

They don't go anywhere near Montmartre, though.

Finding a nice, quiet, atmospheric place to eat at 5 pm is problematic. I don't think you'll find a single restaurant that will start serving before 7-7:30. You'll need to find a bistro or brasserie; they typically serve food most all day and evening. Whether there's a quiet, atmospheric one near the river, I can't say, but the locals can probably recommend something . It shouldn't be hard to fill the good French food requirement, though.

Good luck.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
894 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant for my grandparents' 70th anniversary?

What about having the anniversary celebration over lunch at a nice French restaurant? Le Petit Train de Montmartre, a small trolley that goes past most all of the Montmartre sites, might be the best bet for seeing Montmartre without dealing with the hills. http://www.promotrain.fr/gbaccueil.htm

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,322 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant for my grandparents' 70th anniversary?

There is a white table cloth single chef place in Montmartre that is quiet with elegant service where a lovely multi course lunch menu is about 35 Euro; you can see pictures from my photo journal in the Paris category under 'Three Dining Experiences.' Very French. Lovely breads, amuse bouche, entree, plat, dessert and finished with mignardise -- drinks extra. The service is lovely. And that is a great price for this elegance.

It is near the Lamarck Caulaincourt metro in Montmartre.

You will not find a restaurant that serves at 5 -- what you really need is a fancy lunch at a fancy restaurant and there are many possible choices. Les Ombres is lovely but pricier but more reasonable at lunch with a stunning view of the Eiffel Tower through the glass roof. Lots of well known restaurants have lunch menus that are similar to their dinner menus.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant for my grandparents' 70th anniversary?

The only place I'd consider fancy enough, and near the river happens to open at 6:30pm. It's Atelier Maître Albert on the rue Maître Albert in the 5th, across from Notre Dame. It's one of Guy Savoy's baby bistros. You can pull up their website for a look at their menu as well as prices to see if they're in line with your budget.

Ateliermaitrealbert.com

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
99 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant for my grandparents' 70th anniversary?

Oooh, thanks for the train tip! I think we'll be using that!

Thanks to everyone else, too. I guess it is a Brasserie or similar we are looking for, because they really don't want to stay up late enough to start dinner at 7pm. Does anyone have any particularly charming recommendations on that front?

Does anyone know the restaurant scene on Ile Saint-Louis?

Thanks so much to everyone!!

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant for my grandparents' 70th anniversary?

I agree that a really fancy lunch might be a better bet. The other great thing about lunch, is you can go MUCH fancier.

I had my 15th anniversary dinner at Le Jules Verne and it was amazing. The food was fabulous, the service was perfect and of course the view from the second floor of the Eiffel Tower was just perfect.

If you can handle about E100 per person without alcohol, it's a once-in-a-lifetime kind of event for your grandparents.

If that's too much, there is Le Ciel de Paris, which has a view of the Eiffel Tower (but dinner starts at 7) and Les Ombres, which is under the Eiffel Tower.

Edited: 27 July 2014, 02:28
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,322 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant for my grandparents' 70th anniversary?

Did you notice all the suggestions to have a fancy anniversary dinner at a really nice restaurant rather than an early ordinary meal at a brasserie? If looking for Yowza ( and hwo wouldn't for a 70th anniversary) then an elegant multi course lunch makes more sense than a 'settled for' ordinary brasserie or crepe dinner.

I neglected to actually name the one in Montmartre I recommended above -- it is Le Cottage Marcadet. But there are dozens of really nice restaurants in Paris and most of them do lunches that are quite similar to their dinners but at a lower cost -- so with a decent budget you can be spectacular at lunch.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant for my grandparents' 70th anniversary?

I totally agree that a lovely lunch is a far better idea than trying to find a nice place for dinner at 5 pm, when dinner in Paris starts much later than that.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant for my grandparents' 70th anniversary?

<<Does anyone know the restaurant scene on Ile Saint-Louis?>>

I haven't eaten on Ile Saint-Louis in a long time. I do stop at La Brasserie de l’Isle Saint-Louis and sit outside for a glass of wine and sometimes with a salad. They serve at 5:00 but don't take reservations. The food is Alsatian and has German influence so might not be what you're looking for.

http://www.labrasserie-isl.fr/home.htm

A recent trip report by teacher 91 and they stayed on the Ile. She mentions eating at Cafe Saint Regis more than once. I don't know if they serve at 5:00

http://www.cafesaintregisparis.com/en/

You are likely to get more for your money with a nice lunch as others have pointed out.

Edited: 27 July 2014, 04:51
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant for my grandparents' 70th anniversary?

Like elizzie, we just make a stop at the Brasserie de L'Isle when there for a spot of wine, and once had a charming meal at some tiny place on one of the two main streets there, but I forget the name. The Ile is the size of a postage stamp, so there's not much choice, and again, no restaurant will take you at 5 pm.

Maybe jet lag will reset your grandparents' eating clock? Any chance of that? I know older people in the USA tend to eat earlier and earlier as they age, but I do find it peculiar that the elderly French people I know - and I know a lot of them, as I swear the average age in St-Cirq is about 90 now - still don't contemplate eating dinner until about 8 pm.