We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrival logistics

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
122 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Arrival logistics

My son and his friend (both 16) are cycling through France and will be arriving at Gare de Lyon around 10 pm. They will need to get to the youth hostel on Rue Pajol in the 18th Arrondissement. I'm assuming it's easy to get a taxi outside of the station, so my question concerns safety. Is the area around the station relatively safe? Also, I've heard that, in the past, the 18th Arrondissement was a sketchy area. The youth hostel is new and the entire area seems to be reinvigorated.

By the way, these boys are mature and responsible for their age, so I don't expect that they will have a problem. It's just good to know what to expect.

Thank you!

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrival logistics

I'm not sure I understand. Will the boys have their bicycles with them, and need to get them to the hostel?

But to answer your question, the area is safe enough.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 13:50
Florida
Level Contributor
17,081 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrival logistics

Some description of the area in the reviews...

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187147-d450…

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrival logistics

Area is safe, I go there from time to time.

If they have their bikes, it is only about 15 min from Gare de Lyon, ifthey don't have bikes, they can rent bikes via Velib.fr - easy, lots of bikes at gade de Lyon.

mvg

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arrival logistics

The area is better than dodgier places like the Gare de Nord, and taxis are pretty easy to grab in Paris :)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arrival logistics

That is my neighbourhood, but the OP is asking about the safety of the Gare de Lyon area at night.

Frankly, if they are arriving with their bikes, they could take the RER D from Gare de Lyon to Gare du Nord (the RER D accepts bikes) and the bike ride from Gare du Nord is about 3 minutes. Well, let's say 3 minutes for those of us who know where we're going! In any case, new signage has been installed in the area to point the way to the hostel.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
122 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arrival logistics

Thanks for everyone's replies! My son will not have his bike; his friend will have collapsible bike in is case. As they will arrive late at night, they will get a taxi to the hostel. I have been told the area is fine and they will have no problem getting a taxi to Pajol.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arrival logistics

JustCurious - <<As they will arrive late at night, they will get a taxi to the hostel.>>

10:00 is not late at night. Especially in Paris. Many people are just going out to dinner at 9:00. Also, if this trip is in the next month it won't even get dark until around 11:00 pm. Rest assured.

8. Re: Arrival logistics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 05:16