We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Homeless persons?

california
Level Contributor
669 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Homeless persons?

I'll be coming to Paris in late October and plan on bringing a nice coat in case of cold weather. Over the last year I have lost a substantial amount of weight and my coat is now too large for me, but I thought I'd bring it and wear it while there and then donate it to someone in need which will leave me room in my suitcase for treats to bring home.

Is there an organization I could give it to, are there people in the street and I can just pick someone to give it to, what do you suggest? We are staying near the Louvre.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
489 reviews
from US$73.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
584 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Homeless persons?

I can't speak on organizations, but I just recently left Paris and there where quite a few homeless scattered in different areas. It seemed that a few "claimed" a bench near St. Michel. If your coat is expensive and you want to make sure it goes to someone such as a mother trying to get on her feet, you may need to do a little research. Otherwise, I foresee no problem with you getting it off your hands.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Homeless persons?

I usually give my stuff to Emmaus. They have a thrift store 22 boulevard Beaumarchais.

They rehome and employ homeless people.

www.emmaus-france.org/ou-donner-ou-acheter/

Edited: 28 July 2014, 20:08
Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Homeless persons?

Most churches have a "benne" or "relais" located somewhere outside - similar to those big metal Salvation Army collection boxes. Anything donated here will find a grateful recipient. Google your address and search on the map for the nearest church.

I wouldn't advise trying to just hand your coat to someone on the street, for a number or reasons.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Homeless persons?

There is definitely no lack of homeless persons, but I agree that unless you make positive contact with a specific homeless person who might be able to use your coat, it's best to put it in one of the numerous charity bins around the city. They are not only at churches but often around squares or other public areas -- rarely in the center of the city of course, which might find charity to be a blemish.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 20:36
Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Homeless persons?

Nice gesture ! I frequently give clothes to Secours catholique (French branch of Caritas), they have a textile depot at a quite central location, at 106 rue du Bac in the 7th (bonus "feel good" points: they are almost opposite Patisserie des Reves of Philippe Conticini, and his amazing Paris Brest pastries)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Homeless persons?

Sécours Islamique is also a good place to go and probably more in need at the moment.

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Homeless persons?

I don't know where you ended up renting, but I've used the bin in the Marais at the corner of rue des Blancs Manteaux and rue Vieille du Temple. It's rather large so probably no worries about space.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Homeless persons?

We've used the "relais" nutsabouttravel mentioned for years but they recently added another at 78 rue de la Verrerie next to the Eglise St-Merri in the 4th. I agree with the others that donating it through an organization will insure it gets to someone who really needs it. Finding the most deserving recipient on your own would be tough.

california
Level Contributor
669 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Homeless persons?

It sounds like I won't have any trouble finding an organization to give it to. Thanks for all of your replies.

10. Re: Homeless persons?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2015, 07:15