We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Normandy Day Trip from Paris help

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Normandy Day Trip from Paris help

Hi all:

I'm trying to plan this day trip that my husband really wants to do next month. We'd like to do just a day trip (we will not be staying overnight as all of our hotels are already booked.) Would love some suggestions as far as 1. how to get there/cost/time it takes 2. should we take a tour to see d-day beaches/look around or just go around on our own once we arrive? Would truly appreciate a suggested itinerary for this trip. Thank you!

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
841 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Normandy Day Trip from Paris help

It will be a very full day, and I think you will want a guide to make the most of it. You may want to check on tours that leave from Bayeux. When I did this a few years ago, I booked a tour through the Caen memorial, and booked a Prem train from Paris ahead of time.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Normandy Day Trip from Paris help

Thanks, msn. Any other opinions out there? How long does it take to get there and what's the cost?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,950 posts
1,060 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Normandy Day Trip from Paris help

Since you are not staying the night in Normandy I highly recommend that you go on a guided tour of the D-Day Landing Beaches. Many guided tours require that you stay in Normandy the night before so you will need to find a tour that will wait for the first train from Paris. Victory Tours operates out of Bayeux and their all day tour will wait for the first train from Paris. I took this tour and really enjoyed it. I stayed in Normandy the night before the tour so did not have to get up early in order to get to the meeting place on time (but we did wait for a couple that took the train from Paris). There may be other tours that will wait for Paris day trippers but I am not sure.

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Normandy Day Trip from Paris help

Absolutely strongly recommend a tour. You will get so much more out of it. Check out Dale Booth. He's the best and he does private tours. See his reviews on TA. If you can, cancel one night at your hotel and go up to Bayeux by train the night before so that you can have a full day.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
841 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Normandy Day Trip from Paris help

This post is from 2009, but is what inspired me to look into the Caen option: tripadvisor.com/…19331900

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Normandy Day Trip from Paris help

It would definitely be a full day. To capitalize on the time you will have outside of travel to and from Paris, and provided it is within your budget, I would encourage you to consider booking a private tour/guide if you're interested in seeing WWII sites.There are plenty of excellent ones to choose from. If you search the Bayeux and/or Caen forums and 'Things To Do', you'll find lots of options. This would allow you to plan a day that is tailored to your interests and schedule. I spent a week in Bayeux 2 years ago and did one day with a private guide. It was worth every Euro.

P.S. IMO Bayeux is far lovelier than Caen. Caen was rebuilt significantly after the war and is much larger/generic. If are choosing between the two for an arrival/departure location, I'd recommend Bayeux. If you have time in your day you could also check out the Tapestry or enjoy a nice dinner before heading back.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Normandy Day Trip from Paris help

I took a tour from Paris. It was 12 hours. A long but rewarding day. Lunch was provided. Happy travels!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Normandy Day Trip from Paris help

Wonderful feedback, everyone. I am going to start trying to find a tour out of Bayeux. Thanks so much!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Normandy Day Trip from Paris help

Check out Paris City Vision and my recent review on their Normandy trip. This trip takes over 12 hours. it goes to Pointe du Hoc, the American cemetary, Omaha Beach (1st Division Memorial), a great lunch, Avranches to see the remains of the port and a drive by the British Beaches. I think this intinerary would be more interesting to Americans.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Normandy Day Trip from Paris help

HannahATL,

youre shorting Normandy. But whats done is done.

get a guided tour. That way you wont be screwing around looking/asking/reading maps for directions. You loose some choices in where you go, but that was done by not staying in Normandy longer. You will see the highlights and maybe plan to come back and spend more time there.

good luck.