We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Paris...need guide&suggestions for my itinerary

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
235 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Paris...need guide&suggestions for my itinerary

HI all,

Will be in Paris this Dec. and I've made some plans and itinerary... Need some help and comment if I am doing it correctly. This is for our anniversary and it will be our first time in Paris.

Dec 21. Sunday. Arrival around 7am, so will probably get to hotel by 9am. Leave luggage then head to Notre Dame to catch the choir or concert ? if possible at 10am. Then head to Arc de Triomphe, go up the tower if we can purchase the ticket, then stroll Champ Elysees to Place de la Concorde (Christmas market) then Jardin de Tuilleries. (optional if have time and energy... do the River Cruise in Seine)

Dec 22. Mon. Eiffel tower via Trocadero metro, then go up if no lineup and weather permits. Cross Alexander III bridge then head to Palaise Garnier, Galleries Lafayette, Bon Marche and Prntemps , Montmartre , Sacre Coer , Moulin Rouge, Catacombs.

Dec. 23. Tue. Chateau Versailles whole day, on the way back go to Eiffel Tower for the night view and Trocadero Christmas market if possible.

Dec. 24. Wed. Musee d’ Orsay in morning, ( allot maybe 3 hours), explore La Marais area, George Pompidou, Place des Vosges, Visit Musee du Louvre at 530pm (allot 3-4 hrs.) till closing.

Is it better to buy the museum pass 2 days just to skip the entrance line? I don't plan to visit George Pompidou museum inside if I have to wait in line and if press for time. Also, doing the Louve at night is this a better plan with lesser lineups?

Dec. 25. Thur. Notre Dame (I think the tower is close on this day but don't know how to squeeze that into my plan), Saint Chapelle, I’le de la Cite, then head to La Defense area and Christmas market.

Dec. 26. Fri. Montparnesse area, Montparnesse tower, Luxembourg garden, Luxembourg Palace, Pierre Herme, Latin Quarter. Maybe do the River Cruise if we have time or visit another area that we might miss out.

Is my pace too ambitious or just enough to cover those in each day? I am interested with architectural sites and palaces such as Versailles and Opera Garnier, Should I skip the visit to Montparnesse or La defense area and switch with something else? Should I go with the Navigo pass or just settle for the 10 ticket carnet?

Any comments, tips and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to all who will reply.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Paris...need guide&suggestions for my itinerary

There is no possibility of accomplishing everything you have on Monday. Just can't be done. Bon Marché is on the Left Bank, in the 6th anyway, so that's out. Printemps and Galleries Lafayette are up near the Opéra Garnier, so those are okay there. You MAY get to Montmartre late in the afternoon, but you can't do the Catacombs where they're listed on your itinerary.

Everything else looks doable, but your days are pretty busy as they are without putting more into it.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Paris...need guide&suggestions for my itinerary

I think it's too ambitious. Days are short in December, although Paris is beautiful at night.

Some of your sites are all over the place - right and left banks.

Christmas Day sites are closed, no Sainte Chapelle.

Catacombs might not be the same busy as in summer, but it is not open that late - considering its your last of a day.

I would limit your department stores visits, unless they're Christmas windows watching.

If Dec.21, your arrival day, is after overnight flight - its way too much. You won't get to your hotel by 10.

Slow down and enjoy.

Navigo Decouverte (Mon. - Sun.) might be a good idea.

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
235 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Paris...need guide&suggestions for my itinerary

thanks for the initial replies... was initially planning for a 4 days in Paris now going to 6 days and still have so much to places to see :)

Should I just do Day 1: Notre Dame, Saint Chapelle, Ile de la Site area, then another half day to La Marais area (George Pompidou outside only, Place des Vogues)

Day 2: Plaise Garnier Opera, then go to Galleries Lafayette window shopping only, Montmartre area for dinner and night stroll

Day 3: As plan

Day 4: Musee d Orsay then Louve Museum in the afternoon. Can I purchase ticket in advance in any Tabac stores?

DAY 5: CHRISTMAS DAY.. since most are close I'll just stroll Jardin Tuilleries, walk to Champ Elysee to Arc de Triomphe then head to La Defense for Christmas market. Are the stores along Champ Elysees open during this day?

Day 6: as plan above.

I'll just try to absorb whatever I catch along the way while strolling around in that particular area. Is that a better plan than trying to get to a certain museum or place?

Should I still need the Navigo Decouverte or just use the per trip ticket Caret?

Thanks again...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Paris...need guide&suggestions for my itinerary

If you will walk a lot - couple carnets of single tickets may work, but since your travel dates align with Monday to Sunday validity of Navigo Decouverte- I strongly recommend it. Its beyond convenient. For Versailles sake you may need 1-4 zone, CDG is in 5th.

Louvre and Orsay in one day - doable, but exhausting.

If you're interested in Impressionists I recommend l'Orangerie Museum.

Got lost in your day numbers- check for museums closing days- some are closed Mond, another Tues.

Also recommend Paris Museum Pass- check list of covered sites on its original website. Gives you benefit of skipping the line ( not the security though).

Dismiss Paris Pass- not worth it, tourist trap

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,058 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Paris...need guide&suggestions for my itinerary

- There are you usually no lines to go to the Pompidou museum. There is very often a huge long line to go to the library on the other side of the building (mostly students trying to study) so don't get confused!

- River cruise in December sounds miserable. I would just go on a walk. It's more romantic anyways

- Department stores will be crowded and unpleasant that time of the year. I also don't think you need to see all three, just pick one!

- I would table Montparnasse, it's not a very exciting neighborhood. If you like shopping, I think La Defense is a better bet then any of the department stores, and you can drink vin chaud while you're there.

- I don't know if I would have the physical or mental stamina to do both Orsay and Louvre at the same day. Are you a big art lover? If not, I would just see one.

Have a great trip! make sure you eat a lot of croissants and desserts and drink lots of red wine!

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
235 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Paris...need guide&suggestions for my itinerary

Awesome tips Rasteriasha, exactly what I was wanting to hear! Will make my adjustment base on your recommendations. Would the neighborhood of Bercy be worth doing for half day with all my other areas going about? or will this just be sort of similar to other neighborhood?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,058 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in Paris...need guide&suggestions for my itinerary

Oh that's a tough one! Bercy Village is very small and probably not something I would say is a "must see" on a first visit. BUT it is so cute around Christmas, and I really love the cafes and the people watching on that little street. So I don't know. Maybe just allocate more time to Montmartre? It's a lovely neighborhood! Don't miss the "I Love You" square there.

8. Re: Christmas in Paris...need guide&suggestions for my itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 06:15