We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rats at the Louvre Gardens

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
328 reviews
Save Topic
Rats at the Louvre Gardens

Seems there is no shortage of rates at the Louvre Garden ares, so reports the Weater Network.

"Rats are on the rampage in the elegant garden of the Louvre Museum, so bold they romp onto the grass in broad daylight, defying sanitation workers and scaring tourists visiting the site.

The hot weather in Paris has brought out many picnicking visitors, whose garbage left in the garden is a feast for the rats."

Maybe not the best place for a picnic.

theweathernetwork.com/news/…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rats at the Louvre Gardens

Maybe Paris is not a good place for a picnic, these days...

This was also on tonight's news in Paris. But it's important to realize that marauding hordes of giant rats usually go looking for dinner after the sun goes down. Not very likely that one will run up and snatch food out of your children's hands, as was suggested by one slightly hysterical woman on TV.

Picnic in the daytime or early evening, stay away from bodies of water, bushes, sewers, overflowing garbage cans, TV news cameras...

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rats at the Louvre Gardens

... and do not leave anything behind.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rats at the Louvre Gardens

I've seen them at Trocodero at night running into the bushes. And I've seen one running along the window ledge INSIDE Paul's in St. Germain.

If I think too hard about it - it will skeeve me out, so I put it out of my mind.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rats at the Louvre Gardens

The news reports very clearly insinuated that all of this was the fault of the tourists and of course any local picnickers for leaving all sorts of debris and crumbs behind.

It was also mentioned that they have tried just about everything to poison the rats, which have become immune to just about every poison in the book.

There a three rats for every Parisian, so the best thing you can do is to choose names for your personal rats.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1,772 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rats at the Louvre Gardens

I used to have a black and white hooded rat. Named him Falstaff, because he was fat and cowardly. Actually, he proved to be a very good pet.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 20:49
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rats at the Louvre Gardens

According to what I read a couple of days ago, picnics are only one of several reasons that brought rats out in the middle of the day last weekend. Another reason was that after a dry sunny period (conducive to picnics) we had sudden torrential rain which sort of flooded the sewers bringing rats to the surface, followed again by sunny weather and more picnics. I forget what the other reasons were.

Food leftovers are normally eaten by birds, rats, insects, etc but sometimes conditions converge to disrupt the balance temporarily or lead animals to have unusual behavior. This new trend of picnicking in very urban environments among dwellings could call for more animals to make their way where they weren't frequently seen before. There are foxes in the public parks of Paris and so far it hasn't been considered a problem, on the contrary.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,828 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rats at the Louvre Gardens

My Mom taught me that the Golden Rule of travel was to take only photos... leave only foot prints. If everyone followed this, there'd be no rats, or Love Locks!!!

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rats at the Louvre Gardens

There are rats everywhere, we just normally do not see them unless circumstances such as Mrs. F_M described entice them out.

On our taxes, we pay a "rat abatement" fee and have very infrequently seen rats at dusk on the telephone wires.

As long as that ghost ship full of cannibal rats doesn't reach land, I'm good.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rats at the Louvre Gardens

OMG I had just begun to sleep again after hearing about the cannibal rat ghost ship so thanks a lot for bringing it back up!!!

*scrubs skin clean off of my bones*

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rats at the Louvre Gardens

Je suis desolee, rigbyjack!