We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment Rentals in Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
Save Topic
Apartment Rentals in Paris

is there a room tax due on the apartment rental and who pays it?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment Rentals in Paris

Most vacation rental apartments in Paris are technically illegal, thus it would not be outside the realm of possibility that this tax is not collected by most of the people who rent them to tourists. Just collecting this tax does not mean the apartment is legal, however.

Sorry to make such a round-about statement, but I did not want to generalize, and there's no other way to put it.

A few agencies and individuals do collect this room tax.

Though it is difficult to find out who they are, this should be specified in the contract information.

All hotels and apart'hotels must charge this tax, and it's itemized on your bill.

The customer pays the tax, then the proprietor pays it to the proper authorities as a portion of his income tax.

Edited: 04 August 2014, 11:02
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,232 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment Rentals in Paris

Apartment rentals in Paris are illegal for the most part. Taxes, if collected by the owner, are not going to be paid to anyone in reference to your staying there. As most all rentals are clandestine, it is unlikely that any insurance that the property might have, will cover you in the event of loss.

California
Level Contributor
5,840 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment Rentals in Paris

<<Taxes, if collected by the owner, are not going to be paid to anyone in reference to your staying there.>> Would you like to clarify this, Sarastro? The way I read it, you are saying that any nightly hotel tax collected for an apartment rental won't ever see it's way into the proper tax collector's hand, and I'm sure you don't mean that. I'll respectfully challenge it if that's what you intended ;)

Also, it's not difficult to find out which agencies collect this tax--it will be listed on their website in the legal mumbo-jumbo, which any renter should read anyway. For example, paragraph 7.3 here: guestapartment.com/reservation/…a7

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
102 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment Rentals in Paris

I am trying to find some information about renting an apartment from www.apartmentparis.fr We usually use VRBO, and found one we liked, sent an email and got a reply from this other web site. The Home Away number is no longer listed but has 078Eiffel3 instead. Should I be weary of this web site? I have read in previous forums that www.myapartmentparis.com is not recommended.

thanks

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment Rentals in Paris

What Sarastro says is that taxes collected by fraudulent owners will stay in the fraudulent owners' pockets.

Now, not all owners are fraudlent. Only 90% would be my guess.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment Rentals in Paris

DianeM - I don't know anything about that company, but it is not unusual for listing sites like HomeAway and VRBO to be hacked, and I would be cautious with something like this.

These websites are not secure, so "phishing" is fairly common - someone can easily re-code the payment information, for example, and nobody will know about it. You show up, nobody knows who you are, and someone is already staying in the apartment you paid for. Neither the company you booked with or the property owner is obligated to help you find another place to stay or refund your money.

If it "looks like a duck", I would move on to another property, no matter how nice the place seems to be.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
102 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment Rentals in Paris

Thank you for this very valuable reply.

I did have reserves about going ahead, especially since I've emailed them twice now and no answers. We will move on, have found a couple of interesting apartments in www.vacationinparis.com and also have a prospect in VRBO in the Rue Cler area that we prefer.

Diane

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,257 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartment Rentals in Paris

Stick with the well--known apt. rental sites like VIP. You will not have problems.

Edited: 07 November 2014, 02:42
9. Re: Apartment Rentals in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2015, 06:16