We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hole in the wall places to eat

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
10 posts
Save Topic
Hole in the wall places to eat

we like hole in the wall places to eat rather than fancy posh places. we feel its more authentic, we can mix with locals more and more tasty food, and probably cheaper.

can you guys recommend some hole in the wall places to eat food in paris. we will be near the eiffel tower area but open to other places too . we're kind of foodies....

- french

- middle eastern (falafel, kababs etc.)

- coffe

- bread and pastries

thank you!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hole in the wall places to eat

I don't know if it qualifies as a hole in the wall, but Dar Lyakout, near Invalides does Middle Eastern well....and I certainly wouldn't call it posh.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 01:37
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,408 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hole in the wall places to eat

Finding this is 1/2 the fun ---> tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d7…

Pjk

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,408 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hole in the wall places to eat

And one more ---> tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d1…

Pjk

Edited: 06 August 2014, 02:36
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hole in the wall places to eat

All you have to do is walk along side streets near a metro station or along a market street (rue Montorgeuil and rue Mouffetard being typical examples) and you will find numerous "holes in the wall"...Lots of stores and restaurants are small places. Menus are posted outside.(it's the law).

Pastries shops are easy to find to...you could ask at your hotel desk or use the Paris Yellow pages on the internet.

You could also look at Paris on Google Earth and check the street views in various areas...

Edited: 06 August 2014, 19:38
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hole in the wall places to eat

For many years I often had lunch at Chez Quan, a Chinese place at the back of the shopping gallery at 66 avenue des Champs Elysées. (It was near my office.) I paid 6.60€ for lunch, but I must confess that they have raised the price to 7€ now.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
146 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hole in the wall places to eat

As an American (which I guess you are, judging by the travel destinations on your profile), you will find that lots of restaurants/food-serving cafés/bakery-pastry shops in Paris make it to your "hole in the wall" status. Yes, it's Europe, and everything is much more cramped over here. The more dense the area, the more rewarding the search: try touristy La Huchette (5th), locals/touristy Odéon (6th), Turkish/Kurdish porte Saint-Denis (10th), Indian/Pakistani passage Brady (10th), West African rue Poulet (18th), bobo Oberkampf and La Roquette areas (11th), etc.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hole in the wall places to eat

Jeez, Rubrique, no disrespect, but I'm not sure I'd recommend the La Huchette area for eateries in Paris. Very low quality food...

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hole in the wall places to eat

As HappyGoin suggests, rue de la Huchette is one of the very last places I would eat in Paris, whatever experience I am looking for (unless buskers pushing their badly translated menus of mediocre international fare in 8 languages with photos, and running mice, are what I am looking for). Same holds for rue Saint André des Arts (with the exception of the good Maoz) and, to a lesser extent, Rue Grégoire de tours.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hole in the wall places to eat

And yet these places stay in business and are often full, so they certainly appeal to some visitors with less sophisticated (?) tastes. In recent years, I have seen a lot of Eastern European tourists choosing these restaurants.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hole in the wall places to eat

I never heard of a self-labeled "foodie" ask for a hole in the wall reccomendation.

Don't get me wrong - I love authentic hole in the wall places. But because of that, I don't call myself a "foodie". To me the term implies the opposite.