We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris in January

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Paris in January

Hi. I am in paris on the 2nd jan for 5 nights with my 20yr & 12 yr old children. Can anyone suggest a hotel that can accommodate the three of us in the one room. Not sure about location as it will be cold so walking long distances might be difficult. Looking for a place close to a train station, good cafés for our dinners. must be safe, 3-4 * ok.

Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,672 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris in January

Just about anywhere in central Paris will be close to a Metro station, close to many restaurants, and safe. How much are you intending to spend per night, in euros?

Don't worry about stars: the French system is based on physical amenities and says very little about whether a hotel is good.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris in January

Thinking of about $250 ish (AU) per night. Is that enough for a clean, modern place.

What about an appartment?

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris in January

Hello

There is always a bore asking to think in Euros, not in RMB's or AUS.

Let it be me today...

As for appartments, make a lot of reviews and pay attention, some are ok, some not, and a lot are illegal, so when it turns not ok, it can be nasty.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,672 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris in January

You have to start thinking in euros: that is the currency you will pay in, and it is the currency that everyone on this forum understands.

$250 AUD is around €175 which should be enough for a reasonably comfortable hotel. Could I suggest that you use your guidebook on Paris to work out which sights you want to visit. Mark these on a map of Paris, and this should help you decide which area you want to stay in.

For apartments, you can try www.vrbo.com or www.perfectlyparis.com

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,421 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris in January

Feel free not to think in euros for me. I guess that makes it everyone - 1.

And FWIW we were in Paris last January and it wasn't terribly cold, not so much that we didn't walk the length of the Champs Elysee and then some to enjoy the Christmas markets and the lights. Based on that one January visit I'd suggest worrying about rain and comfortable footwear than terribly cold days and nights.

Pjk

Pjk

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris in January

thanks It's a start. On something different, has anyone been to Disneyland during winter? I am a bit of a novice when it comes to travel, I need all the help I can get!

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris in January

Hi. Thinking of spending an extra 5 days in France, Normandy, Brittany...... Or do we go across to Prague and then Vienna before doing 6 nights in Italy. Already staying 5 nights in Paris, we were there 4 years ago, but the thought of spending New Years Eve there is exciting. Any ideas.

Thanks

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,394 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris in January

Italy is a lot warmer than France, prague, or Vienna in the winter. I winter in Italy Florence and south frequently. it hardly ever gets below the freezing point of water even at night. Even in feb Italy is green and alive. it is like spring there. Spend more time in Italy in Jan?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,421 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris in January

Curiously, we are looking into spending Christmas this year in Saltsburg and maybe another city. My friend has been exploring possibilities and telling me about them. We go to Budapest each year and keep planning on adding Prague to one of those trips but never yet have.

Pjk

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,756 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris in January

Not to burst your bubble, but there's really nothing going on in Paris on New Year's Eve.