We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for lunches....

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
486 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for lunches....

Heeding the advice of many in this forum, I am trying to play each morning/afternoon excursions more "by ear"...to include where to stop for a couple of hours for a really good lunch. The following is where I will be and my initial thoughts....any good alternatives would be appreciated.

1. Musee d'Orsay: Looking at a lighter lunch at Galette Café, gluten-free galettes with cider. The plus to this choice is that no reservation is needed, they serve all day and it is between the Orsay and a walk back on Blvd St Germain to the apartment (rue St Andres de Arts)

2. Eiffel Tower/Rue Cler/Avenue Montaigne/Champs Elysee walk: Looking at the no reservation restaurants of Christian Constant on Rue Saint-Dominique or le Petit Cler or possibly Bistrot Belhara on rue Duvivier. Definitely looking for a long, hearty lunch before a big walking day...going to end up at the Tuileries/Place de la Concord, JP Hevin/Pierre Herme, so comfort food would be a big plus.

3. Sunday on rue Mouffetard. arriving at the Church of St Medard by 11am..looking at Au Bon Coin (once again, solid bistro food for a full walking day) then turn around and walk back rue du Cardinal Lemoine and Place de la Contrascarpe.

4. Shopping day....Galeries Layfayette/Place Vendome/Place Madeleine; Looking at Le Madeleine 7 on the way to Place Madeleine or, possible, Café Fauchon (looking at a charcuterie and cheese type of lunch...bigger dinner planned).

5. St Chapelle/Notre Dame/the Islands.....looking at Auberge de la Reine Blanche so that I can explore both islands a little before heading back (dinner will be soufflés)

6. Pantheon/Luxembourg Gardens: Light lunch (big dinner planned)...Takeout from either La Grand Epicerie or Cuisine de Bar @ Poilane.

7. Marais/Pompidou: Marais in the morning and Centre Pompidou in the afternoon...looking at Le Brise-Miche as a fit for location and diverse menu. Dinner will be light, lunch can be hearty.

If anyone has some good alternatives that don't need reservations, it would be greatly welcomed.

Mentioned in this post
Musee d'Orsay
Musee d'Orsay
56,018 Reviews
Paris, France
Galette Cafe
Galette Cafe
430 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel Saint Germain
Hotel Saint Germain
919 Reviews
Paris, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
119,241 Reviews
Paris, France
Rue Cler
Rue Cler
600 Reviews
Paris, France
Avenue Montaigne
Avenue Montaigne
158 Reviews
Paris, France
Cafe Constant
Cafe Constant
2,356 Reviews
Paris, France
Saint Dominique Hotel
Saint Dominique Hotel
544 Reviews
Paris, France
Le Petit Cler
Le Petit Cler
952 Reviews
Paris, France
Bistrot Belhara
Bistrot Belhara
320 Reviews
Paris, France
Pierre Herme
Pierre Herme
1,760 Reviews
Paris, France
Le Saint Medard
Le Saint Medard
215 Reviews
Paris, France
Au Bon Coin
Au Bon Coin
522 Reviews
Paris, France
Lemoine
Lemoine
62 Reviews
Paris, France
Place Vendome
Place Vendome
958 Reviews
Paris, France
Madeleine
Madeleine
148 Reviews
Paris, France
Fauchon
Fauchon
982 Reviews
Paris, France
Auberge de la Reine Blanche
Auberge de la Reine...
509 Reviews
Paris, France
Pantheon
Pantheon
3,597 Reviews
Paris, France
Luxembourg Gardens
Luxembourg Gardens
30,636 Reviews
Paris, France
Comptoir Poilane
Comptoir Poilane
135 Reviews
Paris, France
Centre Pompidou
Centre Pompidou
5,287 Reviews
Paris, France
Le Brise-Miche
Le Brise-Miche
618 Reviews
Paris, France
Restaurant Argana
£, Moroccan, Mediterranean
Pizzeria Arrivederci
££ - £££, Italian, Pizza
Il Etait Un Square
££ - £££, French, Steakhouse
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for lunches....

Dame Tartine right next to the Pompidou Center facing the Stravinsky fountain has good light lunches.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for lunches....

Your selection sounds good, so just to give you some more food for thought:

1. Da Rosa on rue de Seine (they have Grom just opposite for dessert... how is it possible to have so much deliciousness in so little space?)

2. L'Ecluse has one of their branches on rue François 1er

3. L'Agrume is great in the area, but closed on Sundays, in case you want to switch days

4. Maison de la Truffe has light lunches (their risotto is quite good)

5. The traditional French bistros have gone South in the recent past in the area IMO; check Sorza for Italian

6. Da Rosa / Grom can be an option again, or Huitrerie Régis if you can find a place

7. I'm a big fan of Louchebem and their unlimited meat plate when looking for a hearty lunch in the area

Mentioned in this post
Da Rosa
Da Rosa
330 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel de Seine
Hotel de Seine
608 Reviews
Paris, France
Maison de la Truffe
Maison de la Truffe
511 Reviews
Paris, France
Sorza
Sorza
685 Reviews
Paris, France
Le Louchebem
Le Louchebem
1,031 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for lunches....

Here are the places I sometimes go:

1. The main restaurant in the museum is surprisingly good, and it has light fare; also there are a number of big cafes with good food in the Blvd. Saint-Germain. Just up the road from there is Lao Tseu, which serves Asian food to the locals (not necessarily authentic, but to the French taste). You would not need reservations at any of these places.

2. Just next door to the rue Cler, the Bistrot Belhara, which is a new place where Léo le Lion used to be, is excellent. You would get a proper 2- or 3-course French meal there; expect to pay about 35 euros per person, plus wine. Reservations are necessary.

3. rue Mouffetard area is sort of touristy, although some of the places are good. I usually end up at one of the Mavrommatis restaurants at the bottom of the street (excellent Greek food).

4. For a combo charcuterie/fromage selection near Madeleine, you can't get better than at L' Ecluse, in the Place de la Madeleine. A less expensive option there would be at the wineshop Vin Nicolas, which has a restaurant upstairs at lunchtime and which serves light lunches (quiche and salad, e.g.). During the year, it is packed with local workers from the area. Fauchon is an overpriced tourist trap, imo.

6. Near the Luxembourg, why not eat in the garden at the restaurant there? Near the bandstand, there is a restaurant that serves light meals at lunch (tartines, croques, large salads, etc.) at very reasonable prices. Of course the weather will be a big factor here.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Saint Germain
Hotel Saint Germain
919 Reviews
Paris, France
Lao Tseu
Lao Tseu
168 Reviews
Paris, France
Bistrot Belhara
Bistrot Belhara
320 Reviews
Paris, France
Le Mouffetard
Le Mouffetard
168 Reviews
Paris, France
Mavrommatis
Mavrommatis
379 Reviews
Paris, France
Madeleine
Madeleine
148 Reviews
Paris, France
La Madeleine
La Madeleine
1,979 Reviews
Paris, France
Nicolas
Nicolas
110 Reviews
Paris, France
Fauchon
Fauchon
982 Reviews
Paris, France
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for lunches....

I enjoyed an excellent light lunch with a friend at Cinq Mars on the rue Verneuil, just behind the Orsay.

Mentioned in this post
Cinq Mars
Cinq Mars
412 Reviews
Paris, France
Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
486 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for lunches....

Parisix: DaRosa, which is minutes from the apartment, is on my 1st day shopping list, along with La Fromagerie 31 on rue de Seine and La Derniere Goutte (gotta stock up the apartment!!)..Loved the idea of Maison de la Truffe and made a reservation (thru Thefork.com) for lunch...thx.

Happy...I emailed Cinq Mars, they seem pretty rigid as to reservations and not chance walk-ins; if that doesn't happen, Twinkle's idea would be a good back-up (assuming that I don't stick to the galette/cider option).

Mentioned in this post
La Fromagerie
La Fromagerie
42 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel de Seine
Hotel de Seine
608 Reviews
Paris, France
Maison de la Truffe
Maison de la Truffe
511 Reviews
Paris, France
Cinq Mars
Cinq Mars
412 Reviews
Paris, France
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for lunches....

Hmm. That's surprising for lunchtime, NYC. We just walked in, however I'd eaten dinner there the evening before, not that that had anything to do with it. Just that it wasn't THAT busy.

There was another cafe, just down the street, on the corner of the rue de Bac and rue de Lille, something like the Cafe Antiquaires, or similar. They also had very good food, and fwiw, it didn't seem like much of a tourist trap.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel de Lille
Hotel de Lille
296 Reviews
Paris, France
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,156 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for lunches....

For day 5 this would not be out-of-the-way ---> tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187147-d182…

Pjk

SF, CA
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for lunches....

Sorry to piggyback onto your post, but I remember that a previous post discussed lunch menus in the 12-16 euro range. Can anyone recommend any particular establishments, with non-ethnic 2course menus in this general price range at lunch, where the food will be decent quality and freshly made, as opposed to coming from a frozen pouch? Also without a reservation, if possible - we can arrive rather early. We will be in the usual tourist areas, and staying in Le Marais. It is hard to tell in the above descriptions if any of the places mentioned would be inexpensive enough. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Le Marais
Le Marais
11,256 Reviews
Paris, France
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,156 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for lunches....

If you find yourself along the Canal St. Martin there's la Patache, 60 rue de Lancry, a nice, local restaurant where we had lunch. There's no web page, but reviews are here ---> tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d2…

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
La Patache
La Patache
276 Reviews
Paris, France
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for lunches....

+1 to Parisix's rec of risotto at Maison de la Truffe.

Another option on your Marais day for a hearty lunch is Robert et Louise.

If day 6 is a nice one, I would definitely go with your La Grande Epicerie plan. I had an amazing lunch in May from there of cheese, saucisson sec & some wild strawberries for dessert.

Mentioned in this post
Maison de la Truffe
Maison de la Truffe
511 Reviews
Paris, France
Chez Robert et Louise
Chez Robert et Louise
1,187 Reviews
Paris, France