We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

main or main?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
main or main?

As I'm looking through menus, I've seen a few that offer "main or main" as part of the prix fixe (vs. entree, plat, dessert).

What is the difference? I'm confused because some restaurants offer both options for different prices.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: main or main?

often you can order a main and a starter or a main and a dessert for a fixed price, instead of the 3-course prix fixe

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: main or main?

Not sure from your post if you know this, so forgive me if you do. But an entree in France is your main dish, not your appetizer, as it is on US menus.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: main or main?

Hey Happy, yes, I did know that.

Here's where I apologize profusely for not following the general rule of searching first, as this question was asked and answered a couple of months ago. But, by the time I found it, I was out of my "edit" window.

The part that was confusing to me (and now answered) was that I was looking at it as:

- entree

-plat ou plat

- dessert

instead of

-entree et plat

OU

-plat et dessert

I've got it now. Off to do some more menu browsing :)

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,299 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: main or main?

Hi

I am sure you inadvertently reversed it but entree is equivalent to American appetizer, and the plat is the main course.

Edit:

Ok, I am confused about what you just said but glad everyone is clear

Edited: 08 August 2014, 14:16
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: main or main?

I read HappyGoin's reply to quickly and I think things got switched around...

entree = appetizer

plat = main course

dessert = dessert

plat ou plat = not your choice of main course, rather it means "entree (app) and plat (main) OR plat (main) and dessert"

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: main or main?

I'm curious to see the website of restaurant with "plat ou plat" as a prix fixe option. Maybe you can post a link.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: main or main?

Yes, do post a link if you can. But I did mis-write that, of course.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: main or main?

I'm completely confused. Where did you see plat ou plat? In all the decades I've been going to France, I can't ever recall seeing anything like that.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: main or main?

My understanding is OP saw "entrée et plat, ou plat et dessert" and it reads "plat ou plat" in the middle but you have to read the whole thing to understand the context.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
37,527 posts
953 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: main or main?

Parisix,

Merci - I believe that I now understand the OP's question, and the operative answer better.

It was easy to pick up the juxtaposition in Happy's first post - I get things typed in the wrong order, though my feeble mind knows the correct order, so that did not throw me, but I was having a hard time following both the original question, then some of the answers. You have cleared that up, at least for me.

Hunt