We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trenchcoat in late Aug?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Trenchcoat in late Aug?

Hi everyone! I'm visiting Paris from 26th Aug to 30th Aug. I've read all the threads regarding what to wear in Paris and I understand that layering is the best option! Would a thin cardigan suffice or should I bring a trenchcoat along too? I'm asking this as I do not have something in between the two (like a parka for eg) and I'm not that keen to spend the money to buy one specially for this trip! I already have a trenchcoat but I'm worried that it might be a overkill to wear it in Paris when I'm there. Would it?

P.s. Btw I hail from sunny Singapore where the temp is usually about 28deg to 32deg so I might not be too used to the much lower temperature over there!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
490 reviews
from US$73.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trenchcoat in late Aug?

It would most definitely be overkill to wear a trenchcoat in Paris in September.

You can expect the hghs in Paris to be anywhere from about 15 to well over 30 in September.

It's alwaysgood to have a water-resistant outer layer, but it's certainly not cold.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,218 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trenchcoat in late Aug?

Or at the end of August.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trenchcoat in late Aug?

For travel I always like to have a light water resistant windbreaker; in Paris in August the only time such a thing would be useful probably would be on a night Seine cruise. A trench coat would be too much. Worst case scenerio, if there were a cold snap (unlikely but always possible) you could just pick up something in Paris at a cheap place like Tati or a convenient place like Monoprix.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
656 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trenchcoat in late Aug?

Leave the trenchcoat at home. Last August, (I was there about the same time, end of month), I would've walked around naked if I could've.

One evening though, I needed a light sweater.

And I always travel with a light parka with a detachable lining just in case. A waste of space for me anyway, on that trip.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trenchcoat in late Aug?

I have a lightweight raincoat - trench coat style, but with a light inner lining - and I wore it on July 10 of this year, not because I was especially cold, but because it was raining constantly. It has a good hood and also protects from the wind. There were several other days I wore the coat this year in the month I was in France, and last summer I wore it almost every day in the third week of June. The coat is light enough to pack into the bag I carry around with my camera if the sun finally decides to appear.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 00:05
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trenchcoat in late Aug?

Unless you particularly want to go for the Inspector Clouseau look, a 'cooler weather" style trenchcoat will not be necessary. (A very lightweight waterproof one could be helpful).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trenchcoat in late Aug?

Hi everyone! Thanks for your advice. I think I will forego the trench coat and just try to survive with my cardigan and a scarf over there! If I get too cold then I guess I will have a valid reason to do some shopping there! :D

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trenchcoat in late Aug?

A trenchcoat in August/September would be SO overkill! I don't care where you come from, it couldn't possibly be that cold that you'd need a trenchcoat. Plus it's heavy. I'll be going to France this fall for about 6 weeks and will expect (though it's never a given) warm weather through the end of September and maybe a slight chill at the beginning of October. I'm no weather guru, and climate change has us all spinning about what to expect, but I'll be packing a couple of light cardigans, a cotton jacket in case I need to look respectable anywhere, a windproof, waterproof hooded (I hate carrying an umbrella and losing the ability to carry stuff in my arms) 3/4-length raincoat that weighs just a few ounces, a pair of jeans, one warm sweater, a lightweight fleece zip-up in case in gets cold at night in the Périgord, and that's about it apart from underwear and a skirt or two and good solid travel shoes.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trenchcoat in late Aug?

By now, you must be thoroughly confused.

For sure, the weather is Paris is so wildly variable it's difficult to make recommendations.

And, no doubt what's "warm" to those used to cooler climates may be quite chilly, even cold, for you.

I would say that the ubiquitous "layers" are your best bet. Usual clothing plus a lightweight sweater, plus a warmer layer (polartec, fleece, heavier sweater), plus a water/wind proof outer layer which, as mentioned, with a hood would preclude the need to carry an umbrella all over. Since the weather changes dramatically throughout the day and evening, if you don't plan to return to your accommodations during the day or ahead of the evening, you'd want to bring several layers along while out and about, which you will likely find yourself adding and removing throughout the day.

And, much depends on what you'll be doing. Out and about, you may appreciate a layer or two or three, but in a crowded place (shopping, museum, restaurant) you'd be peeling all that off. Yet, for an open air bus or boat ride or ascending the Eiffel Tower, you may need every layer you have.

We're in Paris almost every September and, while I loathe hauling all those layers all day every day, I do need them so as to be comfortable out and about and not have to curtail my activities due to lack of outerwear.

I am positively overjoyed when only one or two layers will be necessary based on the (unreliable) forecast and days I'm not dragging my 3/4 wind/water proof raincoat all over whether it turns out to be needed or not. But, the pockets are handy for the bottle of water, maps, purchases, etc.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trenchcoat in late Aug?

Well, I'm actually not that fussy about the waterproof outer layer with a hood as I am very used to carrying an umbrella over here in Singapore. Due to the crazy humidity level, it is more practical to use an umbrella here. I am more concern about the cold actually! I dont really have a thicker sweater other than my cardigan (there is not much use for a thick sweater in Singapore frankly) so I guess I'll just have to make do with it!

Edited: 10 August 2014, 17:22