We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to CDG Etoile metro station from CDG Airport

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
How to get to CDG Etoile metro station from CDG Airport

Hi

I will be staying with my wife at a hotel in Paris near the CDG Etoile metro station, about 1.6km by car. What's the easiest and cheapest way to get there from the CDG airport?

Then I will be heading out of Paris to visit other areas within France and will return to stay at France Eiffel hotel. What's the best way by train?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
France
France
Europe
France Eiffel Hotel
France Eiffel Hotel
438 Reviews
Paris, France
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,888 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to CDG Etoile metro station from CDG Airport

"Easiest" and "cheapest" are never the same.

The easiest is to follow the signs for taxis and take a taxi off the official taxi rank, which will cost abouyt €50. Or for €9.75 each, you can follow the signs for RER trains to Paris and take the train. Get off at Chatalet Les Halles and change to Metro Line 1 towards La Defense, getting off at CDG Etoile.

However, if your hotel is a mile from CDG Etoile, there will be other Metro stations that are closer to the hotel.

There are 6 mainline train stations in Paris, each serving a different part of France. For information on train services, see www.capitainetrain.com

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Les Halles
Les Halles
510 Reviews
Paris, France
La Defense
La Defense
1,436 Reviews
Paris, France
Roissy-en-France, France
France
France
Europe
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to CDG Etoile metro station from CDG Airport

Thanks sidneynick. I'll be staying at Hotel Niel, 11 Rue Saussier-Leroy, Paris. Which RER should I use? Should I change to M1 or do you suggest another one? Can I carry a large luggage into these trains?

Also after a couple of days, I'll be taking a trip to Bayeux and Pontorson (to visit Mont Saint Michel). The booking that I made departs from Paris St. Lazare. What's the best way to get there from my hotel?

Mentioned in this post
Niel Hotel
Niel Hotel
347 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Mont-Saint-Michel
Mont-Saint-Michel
Manche, France
Lazare
Lazare
1,390 Reviews
Paris, France
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,888 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to CDG Etoile metro station from CDG Airport

The closest Metro station to your hotel is Ternes on Line 2. You could walk from CDG Etoile station on Line 1, using the directions I gave previously, or you could get off the RER train at Gare du Nord and follow the signs for Metro Line 2. Take Line 2 towards Porte Dauphin and get off at Ternes.

There is only RER Line B at CDG airport.

You need to become familiar with the journey planner at www.ratp.fr

Mentioned in this post
Roissy-en-France, France
Hotel At Gare du Nord
Hotel At Gare du Nord
604 Reviews
Paris, France
Le Dauphin
Le Dauphin
238 Reviews
Paris, France
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to CDG Etoile metro station from CDG Airport

You don't want to carry large luggage anywhere where you'll be using public transportation. It's a royal PITA. No one, unless meeting with French aristocrats or going to a wedding, or maybe a cruise, needs much of anything more than a 22" rollaboard to spend a week or several in Paris and France.

To learn your way around Paris on public transportation, study www.ratp.fr and www.parisbytrain.com.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France
France
Europe
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to CDG Etoile metro station from CDG Airport

Much depends on whether you will be able to manage your "large luggage" on public transportation and also whether you can redistribute.

For two people, it may be far better to choose two much smaller bags, plus, perhaps a tote or two, for better distribution of what you'll be hauling.

Or, decide whether the cost of a taxi from CDG is worth the extra expense to bring all that with you.

All in all bringing "large luggage" will be neither easy, nor cheap, but the taxi fare may be worth it to you to bring all you need/want for your stay.

However, all that will be burdensome for your train travels.

While I'm not one who could ever make do with a 22" rollaboard on any trip, it is positively essential that you plan to haul no more than you can comfortably manage yourselves for your planned travels.

So, see if you can figure out how to haul all you wish in smaller bags.

Mentioned in this post
Roissy-en-France, France
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
290 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to CDG Etoile metro station from CDG Airport

When I arrive in Paris next month Ternes will be my local Metro too, I'm still undecided about getting the train (though we will only have one bag each, and we are comfortable with that on public transport - we'll probably be getting the train to the airport here in Sydney).

An alternative to catching a taxi/train is to get the Air France bus, which has a drop off at Etoile/Champs

-Elysées - this costs approx €17 each (for a one-way ticket, cheaper if bought online, even cheaper if buying return).

"Our buses leave for Paris every 30 minutes from 5:45 am to 11:00 pm, and take approximately one hour." (from the website)

http://www.lescarsairfrance.com/en.html

lescarsairfrance.com/en/tickets-and-prices.h…

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France
France
Europe
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,019 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to CDG Etoile metro station from CDG Airport

I stayed at the Hotel Niel some years ago and used the Air France coach from and to CDG airport. I believe - but I could be misremembering - that I got off the coach on the Avenue des Ternes (before the coach reached the Place des Ternes then turned right up Avenue Mac Mahon) about as close as one could get to Rue Saussier-Leroy.

Mentioned in this post
Niel Hotel
Niel Hotel
347 Reviews
Paris, France
France
France
Europe
Roissy-en-France, France
Mahon
Mahon
Menorca, Spain
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to CDG Etoile metro station from CDG Airport

Thanks for sharing the link sydneynick. I'll start getting myself familiar with train system in Paris.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to CDG Etoile metro station from CDG Airport

Thanks HB77. I'll look into it. Perhaps it will be better to use this service and then get a taxi from the Etoile stop to my hotel.

10. Re: How to get to CDG Etoile metro station from CDG Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 05:18