We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled Accomodation in Marais Paris

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Disabled Accomodation in Marais Paris

Hi there, I will be staying in Paris - hoping to get accommodation for 8 nights in Marais district in October. Trouble is - although I am able bodies, my knees aren't. I can't do stairs AT ALL. Would anyone be kind enough to post a recommendation for accommodation with a lift? My friend and I will be in a twin room for 8 nights in the 3rd and 4rth arrmds. PS: I have also been horrified of the feedback left by some of bedbugs in hotels. YUK. We want to spend about $180 MAX per night for the room. Any suggestions?

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,189 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disabled Accomodation in Marais Paris

First, you should convert your budget to Euros or 124 Euros which is just not a generous budget for a twin room. Then, you need to know that most buildings in the Marais are centuries old and those that have elevators are a) retrofitted, so tiny, some have capacity for only one or two persons, without luggage, and b) are not necessarily reliable, in that they could break down and be out of commission for the duration of your stay.

And, then, its very late to be booking accommodations in Paris for this October, especially is your dates coincide with any of the conventions, trade shows and other events going on in Paris during the month.

All in all, you may have to expand your search to other areas with rates within your budget, more modern elevators....

Unless bedbug reports are posted yesterday, they will probably not be a concern some months from now, as hotels do their best to eradicate that problem as quickly as possibly. Unfortunately for hotels, bedbugs are brought in with guests. And, many reports of bedbugs may not truly be bedbugs. Much of the time, the reports are not truly credible or they may have been the source of the bedbugs. To my observation, a hotel that allows pets may have a flea problem, not a bedbug problem.

You may want to start with various booking websites such at venere.com, booking.com, etc., to check availability and rates in your preferred area, taking note of guest ratings, amenities, etc.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Disabled Accomodation in Marais Paris

Thanks so much djkbooks, I appreciate your reply.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
854 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disabled Accomodation in Marais Paris

If you cannot do stairs at all, you need to know that the toilets in most restaurants and cafes,as well as in other public places are accessible only via a steep stairway. There are some ground floor toilets and when you find them, make note for future reference. Also many Metro stations do not have lifts or escalators, so riding the bus will be your best transportation option. I found the booklet Paris Bus L'Indispensable invaluable. It has maps of 109 bus lines with stops and transfer points. It cost about 6€ at a newsstand. If you are interested, check out my blog for more information about getting around Paris with a bum knee. Www.cjtparis2013.Blogspot.com

Paris is manageable for disabled with a little preplanning and lots of flexibility, no pun intended.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
854 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disabled Accomodation in Marais Paris

I have sent you a PM with another suggestion.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Disabled Accomodation in Marais Paris

Thank you Happydaytripper - I just enjoyed the read on your blog - it sounds like you have a very interesting and relaxing holiday. So many visitors say they will go again.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,284 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disabled Accomodation in Marais Paris

I too have some knee problems, though I can do a flight of stairs. The Metro is really bad for stairs, don't even contemplate using it. The buses are good and some even "kneel" on request.

The other thing to watch for in a hotel or rented apartment is whether there is a walk in shower. Showers over baths are very common and very difficult to manage.

While the names of the hotels on the following site are not given, I think it might be possible to work out what they are. The rooms are for wheelchair accessibility but you have similar needs

www.sagetraveling.com/accessible-paris-hotels

Consider also renting an apartment though they are more fraught with possible problems with lifts.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Disabled Accomodation in Marais Paris

Good point about the showers. They can be quite a step up. I also had a separate toilet in the last apartment I rented that was down three steps. Not a problem for me, but I also hadn't known about it in advance. I only knew there were two sets of stairs to climb to get to the apartment floor. I suppose the agency figured if someone could climb the two levels of stairs, the three steps to the toilet would be no big deal.

8. Re: Disabled Accomodation in Marais Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2015, 06:16