We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Love without locks" campaign starting

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Topic
"Love without locks" campaign starting

The Paris City hall launched today the "Love without locks" campaign, based on two key (pun intended) elements:

- stickers will be (apparently, the first are already there) placed on the bridges encouraging (but no fine actually enforced if not abiding, as usual...) visitors to takes selfies instead of placing locks, with a dedicated website to post them (http://lovewithoutlocks.paris.fr/) and the #lovewithoutlocks for Twitter;

- they are working with the National monuments center so as to install new grids / barriers to which no locks could be attached (finally!!).

Arc de Triomphe
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Army Museum
Monuments & Statues, Military Museums
59 Rue de Rivoli
Monuments & Statues, Architectural Buildings, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Les Jardins du Trocadero
Fountains, Monuments & Statues, Gardens
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,149 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Love without locks" campaign starting

I think that new lock-proof railings will have more effect than a campaign. Glad that something is being done. It's about time.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Love without locks" campaign starting

Good heavens, yes. It's about time.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
2,151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Love without locks" campaign starting

This great news has made my day. Thank you!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
656 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Love without locks" campaign starting

One small step for mankind!!

Thankyou P, made my day too :)

Edited: 11 August 2014, 17:12
Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Love without locks" campaign starting

Well, I suppose I should be thrilled about this, but it honestly seems to be a very tepid and feckless approach to addressing the problem. I can't get inside the minds of people who would attach a lock to a bridge (or paint a smiley face on a beautiful old lamppost!), so I don't know if the current selfie rage will be enough to divert them to the website IN LIEU of damaging the bridges. I suppose the propaganda elements of the campaign will make some people think twice before destroying something beautiful but, still, I wonder. I hope.

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Love without locks" campaign starting

It sounds like a good start, but like nutsabouttravel, I am a bit skeptical as some recent reports say the locks are being put many other places than grids on bridges (statues, ET). :(

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Love without locks" campaign starting

Not to mention all of the bridges on the Canal Saint Martin...

…photobucket.com/albums/…ParisNB061.jpg

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Love without locks" campaign starting

Yes, it the the mind-set that needs to be changed somehow. People are already taking selfies, that will not be a new behavior. Maybe the authorities need to recruit "celebrities" to do high-profile "events" where they do NOT attach a lock and take the selfie instead. Then the lemmings will follow.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Love without locks" campaign starting

I'd love to think of this as great news, but I agree it sounds really flimsy.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,212 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Love without locks" campaign starting

I too am skeptical. I saw the bridge railings pulled down from the posts this summer from the weight of the locks. I saw( and took photos of the lock sellers openly set up ON the bridges selling their wares. I think the local authorities are doing a very lame job at handling the situation.

They need to put large signs in several languages that way " stop/arret putting a lock on the bridge is illegal" as I noticed many folks doing it and they did not look like criminals , they were not all ypung reckless couples( we saw family with children doing it together as a shared activity) I honestly think 99% of them have NO idea what they are doing is forbidden or not outright encouraged!

Big signs and a little enforcement. They can assign a few enforcement officers to patrol bridge a few times a day until people get the idea, because it is obvious most folks think nothing bad of what they are doing,and many if not most would refrain if they could clearly see they were breaking a law.