We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upper Marais major developer

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paris
Level Contributor
2,870 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Upper Marais major developer

I was hoping someone would post about the NYT story this week about the developer who has bought a number of properties in the rue Volta, rue Vertbois, etc., and who is developing them all and planning to turn the neighborhood into a mega-hipster zone. I am a bit horrified, so I went there today to have a look. Of course, nothing is open this week, but I could hear the workers beavering away inside the facades. Any thoughts?

nytimes.com/2014/…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,603 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upper Marais major developer

I was expecting to see this posted here as well. It seems a bit "Disney" to me and perhaps I am cynical but it sounds like the plan will attract more tourists than locals.

Curious to hear what residents think about this plan.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upper Marais major developer

Somebody posted about this a few weeks (maybe months) ago. The whole thought is a bit frightening.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
402 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Upper Marais major developer

It doesn't appeal to me at all. I wonder if the menus will have lots of small flags on them...you know, english, german, spanish, japanese...

but I guess it's not a bad thing that french money is being invested in france, and the zero waste thing sounds like a good concept, if nothing else.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upper Marais major developer

I think the article was in the Boston Globe yesterday. Same old, same old...the locals are worried they'll be priced out of their own neighborhoods, and guess what? They probably will. Progress...

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upper Marais major developer

Love the bit about the butcher shop with the library, so people can "think about the meat." As I posted on another board...care for some Proust with that jarret de porc?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upper Marais major developer

I think they should do this in Saint Germain des Prés where the tourists believe that everything is authentic.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,738 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upper Marais major developer

I wonder what kind of press Haussmann would get in todays world. (-:

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upper Marais major developer

FrenchTwinkie and I probably walked right past each other today...

I went to see how much progress had been made since the last time I was in the area - not too much, though people were working hard. There's still an awful lot of work to be done.

I think it's great that someone is spending an enormous amount of money to bring dilapidated buildings - or parts of them - up to fire and safety codes. I only saw a couple of shops that still had the interesting old storefronts - everything else had been re-done with black metal and glass fronts, which made things look identically stark and modern. I guess the interiors will be more interesting.

As opposed to the area around Bon Marche, it's a sure bet that the people who live in this neighborhood will not be able to afford to shop for the type of items that the developer plans on selling here.

Shouldn't this be called "rue Jeune", instead of "La Jeune Rue", by the way? That's been bugging me...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,540 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Upper Marais major developer

My memory is rather foggy, but I think I posted this several months ago. Lots of press in the US emags.

…wsj.com/news/articles/SB1000142405270230425…

and

nymag.com/thecut/2014/05/know-a-neighborhood…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Upper Marais major developer

"Shouldn't this be called "rue Jeune", instead of "La Jeune Rue", by the way? That's been bugging me.."

This is one of the great things about French...sometime words are turned around because it SOUNDS better...Balzac used to speak, not read, whatever he wrote ..then changed as it didn't sound pleasant.

Our high school philosophy teachers always told us to read aloud what we wrote....

One say in French" la maison blanche" but la belle maison, une petite maison, la grande maison etc...

.we also say un jeune homme, une jeune fille, un bel homme but de beaux hommes, not des hommes beaux..

Why not une jeune rue? it could be la rue Jeune....if it was named after a Mr. Jeune