We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming...another what to wear thread. :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming...another what to wear thread. :-)

I haven't seen this addressed recently. Are Speedo type swimsuits still the norm and/or requirement for men?

This is more just out of curiosity at this point. Our tentative plans for next summer are to spend a few days in Chartres before Paris, and I think they have an Olympic size pool there. My husband was joking that he will have to get himself into "Speedo" shape by then.

I wondered if the long shorts type of swimsuits men wear here are still considered inappropriate/unhygienic there.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming...another what to wear thread. :-)

Tight, short swimming trunks are required in Paris as well as swimming caps if you have hair. The swimming pools rent them if you don't have them. But each city has its own rules.

Edited: 12 August 2014, 18:54
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming...another what to wear thread. :-)

Is this the same all over France? We're going to be in Rouen at a hotel with a pool.

Thanks

ETA; I just reread and saw each city has it's own rules. I wonder if my French is up to snuff enough for a phone call to Hotel Bourgtheroulde and a discussion about swimsuits. I do so much worse on the phone than in person.

Edited: 12 August 2014, 18:56
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming...another what to wear thread. :-)

I don't think hotels have rules about this except for maybe wearing cutoff jeans and things like that.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming...another what to wear thread. :-)

Thanks! I guess we will bring them and hope for the best :-)

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming...another what to wear thread. :-)

The Speedo requirement when there is one applies only to public pools. We just spent weeks in Provence and Languedoc Roussillon and saw men in swim shorts at hotel pools and the beaches. In fact, I would say that, at least where we were (L'Espiguette, La Grande Motte, Cannes, Cassis and Marseille), there were slightly more men not wearing Speedo type suits.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming...another what to wear thread. :-)

The public pools in Paris all require Speedos for men, though women can wear any kind of suit they like. Both men and women are required to wear bathing bonnets, unless their heads are shaved. It's a shame nothing can be done about seriously excessive body hair, but there you go...

Don't worry about "Speedo shape", since nobody cares - and it's obvious! People go to the pool for exercise, not for parading - for that, they go to the beach. Besides, when you're swimming, most "problem areas" will be underwater.

Do bring toiletries, towels and a few 1 EU coins for changing cabins and/or lockers - sometimes there's a charge. Flip flops are a good idea, too.

If you check the official websites of the individual pools - and hotel pools, too - and you'll find out the requirements, restrictions, hours, etc.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,291 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming...another what to wear thread. :-)

The generally accepted rule for men's swimwear seems in practice to be that it shouldn't be suitable for wearing outside in the street rather than that it has to be Speedo's.

The ruling certainly isn't restricted to France because here in Belgium it is now applied pretty much universally including hotel and other private pools.

I think it might be wise for a holiday next year to at least take a pair of brief men's swimming trunks - they do have the twin advantages of taking up little luggage space and drying quickly.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,667 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming...another what to wear thread. :-)

Tracie, yes, the rules are the same all over France but as stated, we are talking about public pools only. In water parks and private hotel pools, regulations can be more lax and will depend on each establishment since those are leisure centers and not mainly sports facilities like public pools.

And as stated also, it's not about having to wear speedos, it's more about banning long, loose shorts.Tight swimming trunks are allowed.

9. Re: Swimming...another what to wear thread. :-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 07:16