We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback requested please on preliminary itinerary.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback requested please on preliminary itinerary.

We will be in Paris arriving from Canada on Sept 20 (Saturday), departing mid morning on Sept 25th (Thursday) for Provence via TGV. Note Sat and Sunday are les jours de Patrimoine, so looking for feedback on our choices for those days, crowds, etc.

We are staying in Saint Paul near the Marais.

Saturday: Arrive in am, T7 Tram and metro to Apt in Saint Paul.

Stay up for the day. Explore the Isles. Will leave this fairly open, depending on crowds and how we feel, but Notre Dame, Saint Chapelle, Shakespeare and Company, Conciergerie, Memorial des Martyrs de la Deportation, Marche aux Fleures, and St Louis en L'lle are on our list.

Dinner at Le Petit Chatelet next to Shakespeare and Co. if we feel up to it that evening. Also wondered about a visit to the Banque de France if we have time as I think it will be open. Unsure of crowds there, and time we would need to be there.

Sunday: Bastille Market, explore Marais. May do a Hidden Paris walking tour or do a self guided tour. Place des Vosges, Musee Carnavalet, Memorial de la Shoah.

Metro/walk to Pere Lachaise in afternoon. Does anyone have any experience booking a guided tour through the cemetery? Website says you can do it by phone, but no mention of hours/days offered. Back to Apt to relax.

Dinner at La Rose de France in Place Dauphine, then evening boat cruise on Vedettes du Pont Neuf. Will pre purchase ticket for this. Thinking 9:30 or 10:30pm.

Monday: Notre Dame tower if not seen on Saturday (be there by 0930)

Eplore the Latin quarter, perhaps Cluny Museum, Pantheon. Luxembourg Gardens.

Walk to Le Grand Epicerie for picnic supplies Picnic at Champ de Mars.

Eiffel Tower. We will not prepurchase tickets, but plan to walk up stairs if line not too long.

Make our way back to Apt (walk, metro/bus if tired).

L'Orangerie for an hour or two before it closes if we have time.

Dinner in Marais Near Apt (La Mere et Filles?)

Evening open to suggestions.....or may just relax in Apt with some wine.

Tuesday: Musee D'Orsay early. Les Tuileries, Palais Royal, Opera Garnier (audio tour or guided tour if available), covered passages. Metro/walk to Montmatre. ? Discover Walks walking tour at 5pm, then Crepes for dinner at Brociliande. Metro back to Saint Paul.

Evening walk if not too tired.

Wednesday: Day cruise along Seine, Arch de Triomphe, Champs Elysees.

Wednesday is open for anything we missed, or just exploring. Not sure if Tuesday is too busy?

Will purchase 2 day Museum pass for Monday/Tuesday.

Feedback/suggestions appreciated. Thank You.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback requested please on preliminary itinerary.

…parisinfo.com/what-to-see-in-paris/info/gui…

Check this out before you settle on a Museum Pass for Monday and Tuesday. Those are the major national and Parisian museum closings days. You'll need to plan very carefully.

Your day of arrival is simply unrealistic, as you'll no doubt find out. The sites you've listed could easily be spread out over 3 days. Even 2 would be rushed. You won't be able even to just rush by them all. And Paris isn't about rushing by things. It's a relatively short stay in one of the most culturally rich cities of the world. I wouldn't go with the mindset of seeing it all.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback requested please on preliminary itinerary.

OOPs, forgot to add:

Wednesday evening will likely visit the Louvre as I have read the crowds are not as bad at this time.

Dinner open/undecided, might just pick up something and picnic/eat back at Apt, falafel in Marais?

Need to be at Gare du Nord for 10am TGV on Thursday. Was planning on calling a cab as I think it should be reasonable......

Ottawa
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback requested please on preliminary itinerary.

The list I gave for Saturday are possibilities....we realize we will not likely be able to see them all. Have left time on Wednesday to hopefully see what we have missed.

Will be flexible depending on crowds and how we feel, was more interested in mapping out areas we wanted to visit.

My second visit to Paris, husband's first. Only real must see for him is Pere Lachaise, only real must see for me this time is L'Orangerie, Musee D'Orsay.

Thanks for the link.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback requested please on preliminary itinerary.

The lines may be longer on Day One at Ste. Chapelle and Notre Dame due to "les Journees du Patrimoine", especially if Ste. Chapelle is free that day. I was there last year during that time, and the lines for the more popular sites and ones not normally open to the public were really long. The lines at the Senate building in the Luxembourg Gardens wrapped around the whole building and down a street.

If the lines are really long at a lot of places, you might try visiting the Sorbonne University. It had no line at all. The interior was beautiful, especially the inner courtyard.

For Day One of our trip, we arrived on a Sunday morning, a friend drove us to our rental apartment to drop off the luggage, and we then toured the Sorbonne, Pantheon, Luxembourg Gardens, St. Sulpice, church of St. Germain des Pres, and even fit in lunch with my friend. Granted, I was going on adrenaline, and slept very well that night.

Edited: 13 August 2014, 19:30
Ottawa
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback requested please on preliminary itinerary.

Thanks for that tip. May want to swap out some Saturday items for Monday to avoid the crouds. Will check out the Sorbonne, had not even looked at that as a possibility.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback requested please on preliminary itinerary.

I would not have thought about the Sorbonne either, but it it my friend's alma mater, and he wanted to visit it again. He said some of the rooms we were allowed to visit that day were off-limits to students, at least when he attended. "Les Journees du Patrimoine" official site lists what will be open that weekend so you can plan accordingly.

I believe the site also contains an app that can be downloaded.

paris.fr/english/visit/highlights/journees-d…

Edited: 13 August 2014, 19:48
Puget Sound
Level Contributor
908 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback requested please on preliminary itinerary.

I think you've made some great choices , including Rose de France and Grande Epicerie -- both personal favorites.

I suggest you add a walk down one of the "market streets" to your schedule. My two favorites are Rue Montorgueil in the 2nd, and Rue Mouffetard in the 5th - both are full of color, history, great food/wine shops, and some interesting lunch restaurants.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,339 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feedback requested please on preliminary itinerary.

If you cross over from the Ile St. Louis to the Left Bank or vice-versa take note of the brasserie there ---> http://www.labrasserie-isl.fr

It's a nice place to sit and have a drink in the afternoon and maybe one of their onion tarts. The ice cream place is across the street and there are usually street performers on the bridge in front of the brasserie.

Pjk

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feedback requested please on preliminary itinerary.

You show your location as Ottawa if this correct for you location I am curious that you are taking a Tram to St Paul as this suggests that you are flying into Orly; is this is a direct flight from Montreal?

the other comment is that if you have any kind of luggage take a taxi, you will not regret it.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feedback requested please on preliminary itinerary.

We are flying direct from Montreal to Orly, taking a bus to get to the Montreal Airport.... Able to get a much better deal with our points for the flight.

Have you taken the Tram before? Have heard pretty good things about it, and the transfer to our Metro looks pretty straight forward.

Pjk, thanks for the Bistro recommendation, will look into that.