We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passports and cash?

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
passports and cash?

Good day,

Visting paris for 1 week, on 18th Aug and 2 nights in paris and 5 nights in disney land.

we are 2 adults and 3 children

My question is a) during travel, should I leave my passports at hotel etc? (I doubt if hotel will have safe) or should I keep passport with me all the time

b) should I convert to Euros for food, or other local expense and bring these with me or should i convert euros when i reach paris? thinking to keep 1000 to 1500 euros?

thanks

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
489 reviews
from US$73.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,428 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passports and cash?

The whole passport at hotel/carry passport with you debate has had threads many pages long on here. Some people think you should never carry your passport so it doesn't get pickpocketed, others think you should always carry it as there is a French law that you must carry (or have, I've heard both) a national ID that shows you are authorized to be in France. Personally, I carry mine and have not had it stolen yet. I often stay in places with no room safe.

The general consensus is that you should withdraw euros from an ATM as needed. Fees for this depend on your bank, and I have no idea of the situation in Qatar. Personally, I like to have some euros with me on arrival (maybe €100-200) in case there's some problem with my ATM card and I have to call the bank to resolve it.

Generally, it's not recommended to carry all your credit cards and cash at one time or in one place so if you are pickpocketed they won't get everything.

Many people recommend a waist or neck pouch if you will be carrying large amounts of cash and/or passports, so they will be less accessible to thieves.

After all of this about pickpockets/thieves, I will add that after multiple trips to Europe (including Paris), I have not (yet, knock on wood) had anything stolen.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passports and cash?

And I"m on the other side re: passport. I keep my locked in the safe, or at least in a pocket in a locked suitcase and only carry a color copy with me. I do this in every country I travel to. When I worked at a US Embassy I was told by the security officer that the most valuable item I possessed overseas was my US passport.

I don't know if the OP is from Qatar or is some other nationality but I always figure the hassle of getting my passport replaced is much greater than the likelihood I would have to produce the original. And certainly in DLP, I wouldn't think you'd need your passport but I could be wrong.

I do carry my passport with me when doing any trips out of Paris whether it be a day trip or longer. But around the city I don't.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,688 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: passports and cash?

Irfan327,

Some hotels will have safes in the rooms. or if not you maybe able to have the hotel clerk put them is their safe.

As far as cash, i wouldnt have that much on me unless you plan on spending it. Many places take credit cards and if youre not sure, ask before you go in. Since all i have is the older magnetic type swipe card, i ask the merchant if they accept it and i will show the front and back so they know its not a Chip card. There are ATMs all over the place so if one wont accept your card, you can find another one that will.

But I always have some cash AND change on hand for things like buying a drink in a store or using a public pay toilet.

good luck.

California
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: passports and cash?

Regarding the passport situation I prefer to carry mine in a money belt. I don't trust the hotel safe-or actually it's myself-as I'd more likely forget to take it while departing. That is just me though.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: passports and cash?

Thank you for the feedback

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: passports and cash?

I prefer leaving my Passport in my room. I carry my Califorina Drivers License because I've needed to give it over for some audio guides.

I only carry as much cash on me that I can afford to lose. If you are really nervous wear the money belt. I never have and maybe I've been lucky but I've never lost anything or have been pickpocketed.

7. Re: passports and cash?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 06:16