We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please help decide on 2 hotels based on location

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
please help decide on 2 hotels based on location

Hi,

Going to be our first time to Paris in March 2015 and I've been looking at 2 different hotels, hotel de Londres Eiffel and hotel observatoire Luxembourg. Which of these is more conveniently located for the touristy sites? Which one is easier for getting around town by public transportation? Prices that I've been quoted were similar, with a difference of €54, at hotel observatoire Luxembourg, the price included a continental breakfast, which worked out to be around €4.5 per person per day for breakfast...is that a good deal?

Thanks!

Puget Sound
Level Contributor
908 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please help decide on 2 hotels based on location

Speaking in very broad terms, the 6th District tends to be more lively than are many parts of the 7th.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: please help decide on 2 hotels based on location

I stayed close to the Hotel de Londres Eiffel one trip and wasn't crazy about it. It was ok but I found it a bit dull.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,589 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: please help decide on 2 hotels based on location

We stay close to the Observatore but on the other side of the Luxembourg Gardens and have always found this area to be a great location for a stay in Paris. You can easily walk down to the river and be at the Ile de la Cite for Notre Dame, st. Chapel Le, the Louvre and the Tueleries, and there are any number of nice restaurants close to it. And we always opt for a breakfast at the hotel for the convenience of not making the first stop each morning a brasserie for something.

Pjk

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,519 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: please help decide on 2 hotels based on location

Since you have a lot of time why won't you look for some in 6th or 5th arrondissement, closer to the river.

I prefer 6th over 7th (where Eiffel Tower is), but hotel Observatoire Luxembourg is located on distal end of Luxembourg garden and has only single RER line, but no metro line close by.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: please help decide on 2 hotels based on location

The Observatoire isn't right near a metro but it is on RER-B line which could be taken to and from CDG airport if you were inclined to use RER as your means of getting into Paris. It also has Bus 38 which travels through St Michel, Cite, Pompidou areas and ends at Gare du Nord. Bus 83 nearby which runs to Invalides, Champs Elysees, and near Parc Monceau. The hotel is about 900m walk to Vavin metro stop, so it is true there isn't much near for the Metro. You could take RER-B south to Denfert Rochereau and change to M: line 6, or you could take RER-B north to Chatelet for what is probably a longish exchange to 5 Metro lines.

Carefully read the TA reviews for remarks about 'getting around' from that hotel... Other than the transportation question, the area is very nice.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: please help decide on 2 hotels based on location

Thanks everyone for the information, like one poster said, I still have lots of time that I could do more research on the 5th and 6th district, and hotel observatoire Luxembourg doesn't seem to have a metro near by. There are just so many hotels in Paris to choose from, even with our modest budget (~€150/night). Would anyone have any suggestions on a particular hotel that has easy and close access to the metro or bus?

Given that we'll be arriving in mid March, chances are the weather will be cold, not as cold as Canada but still, I doubt we would want to walk for a long time outside, so I think we'll be using the metro quite a bit to get around town.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,589 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: please help decide on 2 hotels based on location

The hotel I was referring to above and where we've been staying for several years is the Millesime ---> www.millesimehotel.fr/…

Pjk

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,052 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: please help decide on 2 hotels based on location

The Millesime is a great suggestion. If it is over budget, try these in the same area: Hotel du Danube, Hotel de Seine, Hotel La Perle.

In the 5th, you may have more choice in the 150 euros range. Look at the Hotel Diana, the Hotel du College de France, the Hotel Eugenie, the Hotel Marignon (on rue Sommerard), the Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: please help decide on 2 hotels based on location

I think the Henri IV is over your budget, which is too bad. But the others mentioned usually get very good press, so you shouldn't lack for choice.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: please help decide on 2 hotels based on location

Thank you, I went over the map and looked some more, sent a few emails out to hotels and see if I can get a better rate than what's posted on their website...e.g., LA Perle, select hotel rive gauche, etc.