We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crackdown on illegal apartments

Paris
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
crackdown on illegal apartments

I was just reading Adrian Leed's French property newsletter, and she cited an article on bloomberg.com about the new mayor's crackdown on illegal apartment rentals. Hidalgo has evidently beefed up the enforcement of the law prohibiting most short-term rentals in Paris. I know we have all discussed this ad infinitum, but some people might be interested in this topic.

bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-07/paris-airbnb-c…

Edited: 14 August 2014, 19:19
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: crackdown on illegal apartments

I would love to know more about these so-called 1100 jobs that Airbnb says it has created in Paris.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,548 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: crackdown on illegal apartments

I think those are the jobs created by Mayor Hidalgo to control illegal apartments

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: crackdown on illegal apartments

kerouac - I think the AirBnB jobs involve carrying bags of money to offshore bank accounts...

I read the article, too, and it was interesting to see that Ms Leeds is getting concerned about Nice, where she has recently begun buying and selling properties that will be used as short-term rentals. If I were an investor, I would be paying much more attention to reports about what the law says, rather than listen to a sales pitch.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: crackdown on illegal apartments

Actually, these so-called jobs are probably the cleaning people, also working illegally.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: crackdown on illegal apartments

Thanks for sharing!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
486 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: crackdown on illegal apartments

Here we go again.....

This topic should be ONLY of interest to owners and not to tourists....There is nothing specific about these allegations....no names, addresses, fines, indictments, whatever....just local politics.

The Paris Destination Experts in this forum are quick to dispel the negativity about gypsy pickpocketers, petition girls, and ring scam artists.....How about doing the same with this topic.

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: crackdown on illegal apartments

I'm afraid I disagree with you NYC, of course it's of interest to tourists. If it makes them aware of dodgy rentals which they could end up getting thrown out of with absolutely no financial comeback and ruins their holiday, then I think it is of interest to tourists.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,548 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: crackdown on illegal apartments

<<This topic should be ONLY of interest to owners and not to tourists.>>

Oh if I were only so simple. What is going to happen is that some unsuspecting tourist is going to show up at his rental unit only to find that the owner was just fined 25,000€ and that the apartment is no longer available. He´ll wish his only problems were petition girls.

The trend is quite clear and many neighbors are unhappy, hotels are unhappy, and the city does not like the income that is going undeclared by many rental owners and the tax they should be paying that the city is not receiving.

This is not going to go away.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: crackdown on illegal apartments

This is very important information to renters.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: crackdown on illegal apartments

Definitely important for tourists to know.