We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Residence des Arts through Expedia- should we do it?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Residence des Arts through Expedia- should we do it?

We're about to book a trip to Paris for November!!!

We want a hotel with a great location that is reasonably clean, safe, etc. It looks like we can get a good deal on Hotel Residence des Arts (near the Saint-Michel metro stop) through an Expedia flight / hotel package. Should we do it? The hotel is ranked #391 right now, which isn't a great ranking, but the most recent reviews seem positive overall.

Does anyone have anything positive or negative to add about the hotel?

Have any of you ever booked a flight / hotel package on Expedia? Were there any issues?

Thanks!

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Residence des Arts through Expedia- should we do it?

My sister and I stayed there in April. Brilliant location, comfortable room. Ask for a high floor. Rooms down low can be a little noisy due to the Irish Pub being across the street but we were high up and didn't notice any noise at all! I

t is the sister hotel to Villa d'Estrees which is located across the street and down a little ways. Reception for both hotels is located at the Villa. The hotel has a very small lift, it only fits two at a time and we giggled every time we got in but it worked and was quick to come when called.

The street is quiet and runs down to the river. The area around the hotel is vibrant and has lots of restaurants, bars and shops.

We loved our stay and would high recommend it.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,889 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Residence des Arts through Expedia- should we do it?

I would pay more attention to the individual reviews, reviewers and traveler photos than putting much weight on a ranking. I heard a story on the news about how with some of these package deals the hotel is nearly "free" compared to the the cost of purchasing your flight and hotel separately.

Though it's usually not recommended to use a third party, as you will need to work with them if something goes wrong, if the price of the package is significantly cheaper than booking separately then it may not be a bad choice.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Residence des Arts through Expedia- should we do it?

I book directly. They should match the price on Expedia.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,819 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Residence des Arts through Expedia- should we do it?

actually, that is a really good ranking, considering that almost 1,800 Paris hotels are listed

"They should match the price on Expedia."

Tracie, how can a hotel match the price of a flight/hotel package?

Florida
Level Contributor
17,121 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Residence des Arts through Expedia- should we do it?

What is the price of the package deal, and what is the price of airfare + direct hotel booking?

Find review site(s) for Expedia and see if complaint level is high.

Read TA reviews of the hotel for insight, ignore 'ranking', comments and user photos are more useful.

Decide if you want to risk dealing with 3rd party in event of problem.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Residence des Arts through Expedia- should we do it?

I'm all for a good deal - what I hate are unpleasant surprises...

No matter which third-party booking agency you use, you should always follow up with an email and/or a phone call to the hotel - fine to do this in English - and make sure you receive an answer that agrees with what the booking site quoted you.

It's a small investment in time and a few dollars, but will save you from having to deal with any discrepancies or other problems that occur when the booking site and the hotel don't communicate as well as they should. Unfortunately, this happens fairly often, so it's best to protect yourself.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Residence des Arts through Expedia- should we do it?

I don't know the hotel but the area is great--I'm staying nearby in September. And my hotel is ranked about 1000th--but I know exactly what I'm getting and why some people rank it low, so that doesn't bother me.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
15,500 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Residence des Arts through Expedia- should we do it?

>>make sure you receive an answer that agrees with what the booking site quoted you.<<

This won't be necessary if it's a pre-paid package from Expedia with a single price quoted that includes both air and hotel. In that case, of course, you don't have to worry about discrepencies. But if you are booking through a third-party site and paying the hotel directly on check-out, this is very good advice.

California
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Residence des Arts through Expedia- should we do it?

I think pattyinparis meant to make sure with the hotel directly just to confirm that they really have a booking and that the room type corresponds to the Expedia booking. Some people who use third party websites report that when they arrive at the hotel they find out that either they don't have a room or that the room type is completely different from what they booked.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,911 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Residence des Arts through Expedia- should we do it?

A number of problems with hotels in package bookings is the way the system is structured. For these packages, the 3rd party sites usually reserve a block of rooms. When these rooms are booked, the names of the potential occupants are not downloaded to the hotel until 2-3 weeks before arrival in case of possible cancellations. In some cases it may be even less (such as Vegas).

The problem usually arises during the download phase. Since a number of hotels do not use computer systems that are compatible with the 3rd party vendors system, this is done by transmitting the data to a computer that is compatible (for larger hotels), via fax, e-mail or whatever arrangement the hotel has made with the vendor. The hotel then has to take this information and input it into their own reservations system. Unfortunately, this manual interface can and does lead to mistakes. Usually, they're easily corrected as they tend to be minor (names, reversed, misspelled, etc.) Sometimes it's major such as reservations not downloaded.

Easiest way to prevent this is to contact the vendor once the reservation is paid in full and ask them to download the reservation. This may take a day or two to be completed, but once it's done, you should be able to contact the hotel and verify that they have the reservation.