We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Dying Art of Tipping

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
The Dying Art of Tipping

I read this article today on BBC and now I'm re-thinking the whole "no tip" policy I've been following for so many years. Often, I've heard it's okay to round up and that is what I've always done. The general consensus is not to top. However, according to this article, the waiters do expect some form of a tip. Hmm...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28793677

Edited: 17 August 2014, 22:02
Florida
Level Contributor
17,117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Dying Art of Tipping

First I have *ever* heard that French waiters have always been accustomed to tips. (other than if working in high tourist traffic areas).

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,960 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Dying Art of Tipping

We were at the Canadian pub on Quai Augustin last month. It was a busy night. Waitress dropped an entire tray of drinks , and they splashed on my hubbys legs. He helped the girl pick up the mess, as she was obviously overwhelmed. She brought us free drinks( she had not splilt our order) and said thanks for being so nice, that she was lucky she didn't spill on a French person as they would have yelled at her.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Dying Art of Tipping

Me too! It's totally throwing me for a loop.

I assume a generous NA type tip of 15-20% would be too much: our waiters don't make a salary of $2000 a month. So, maybe 10%?!?!?

Edited: 17 August 2014, 22:16
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Dying Art of Tipping

It is rather unsettling that the author seems to almost completely relied on comments from Trip Advisor for his material. We're inclusive but hardly a valid sample on which to base a conclusion.

Edited: 17 August 2014, 22:19
Florida
Level Contributor
17,117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Dying Art of Tipping

Dewtrell, I would wait for some forthcoming illuminating conversation from forum regulars before deciding what the actual climate for tipping in Paris restaurants is.... (it won't be 15%).

Allonsee
Level Contributor
845 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Dying Art of Tipping

That article is a little ridiculous.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,780 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Dying Art of Tipping

An article written by and written for tourists.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Dying Art of Tipping

I am a forum regular - I've been to Paris four times. At this point, it's a personal choice. The general consensus is not to tip, or just round up but this article just has me second guessing my approach to tipping.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,059 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Dying Art of Tipping

I think it's like one of those articles you find in the Sunday travel section of a newspaper, and written when there's really nothing much else they can report on. The type of assignment maybe given to a junior reporter, that doesn't require actual travel, and collated based on stuff floating around the net.

My prediction is that this thread will hit around 50 posts before it gets shut down.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Dying Art of Tipping

Yes, I read that article, too, and thought it was hugely inaccurate.