We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris - September trip (Champ Elysees / Marche Bastille,etc)

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
97 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Paris - September trip (Champ Elysees / Marche Bastille,etc)

Hi there! My partner and I will be in Paris next month and we are super excited!

Have some questions that I can't seem to find the answers online and would appreciate any help:

- What time do the shops usually close at Champ Elysees on a Sunday?

- Is Franklin D Roosevelt station the best stop for getting off the metro to walk past all the shops and heading towards the Arc de Triomph?

- What time does the metro close? (I've read a few websites saying they close at 12am and 1am - don't know which one is the right timing)

- Is it easy to get food at 11pm? (eg. sit down at a cafe / bistro / restaurant and get a meal or snack)

- What time does Marche Bastille market close on Sunday? (one website stated 1pm, another stated 3pm)

- Are churches in Paris very strict on the dress code? Reason I'm asking is because in Italy I had to buy something like a long skirt to put over my shorts. I'm quite happy to do this in Paris, would just like to know if we have to be covered up

- Lastly, our flight departing Paris is at 10.30pm and our hotel is at Mercure Paris Centre Eiffel Tower Hotel. We plan to take the metro to the airport. If we leave the hotel at 6.30pm, is that enough time to get to the airport and catch our flight? We are flying back to NZ. Also this is my first trip to Europe without my parents so I am a little worried.

Thanks for all the help in advance

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris - September trip (Champ Elysees / Marche Bastille,etc)

There are no set hours for the stores on Champs-Elysees - some close at 7, some as late as midnight. If you have a particular store in mind, you can Google their C-E store and check the hours of operation.

Either Champs-Elysees-Clemenceau or FDR would be good Metro stops, but FDR has an UP escalator that is usually working.

Depending on the line you take and your destination, the last Metro from C-E leaves around 1AM. Go to this website to check:

www.ratp.fr/horaires

Bastille market is technically open till 3, but the "real" hours of operation are around 9:30 - 1:30. The rest of the time is spent setting up or cleaning up. You won't see much at all, if you go after 1:30. If you want photos, go before 11, when the tour groups arrive and it gets crowded

You'll usually find something to eat at 11PM, but it might not be what you had in mind. You won't starve, anyway.

No dress code in Paris for churches - as long as you aren't wearing a bathing suit, you'll be fine.

No idea on the trip requirements for NZ, but sure someone will chime in. I would plan on at least one hour of travel time to get to the airport, though.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 07:52
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
97 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris - September trip (Champ Elysees / Marche Bastille,etc)

Thanks for your help patty :) didn't realise that the Bastille won't have much going on after 1.30pm! I've now revised my itinerary and will go to Bastille market in the morning before exploring Le Marais area in the early afternoon on a Sunday.

Our flight departs Paris at 10.30pm (on a Monday) so we figured we should be at the airport by 8pm. Since we're taking the metro, we plan to leave our hotel at 6.30pm and put aside 90mins for us to get to the airport. Is that 'too much time' allowed? Also are there places to eat at the airport in case we want to get dinner before getting on the plane?

Thank you

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,111 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris - September trip (Champ Elysees / Marche Bastille,etc)

First, the church question. I'm not catholic but thought the girls in brief shorts were not showing the respect that the churches deserve. If I thought I was going to visit a church I tried to show some respect so had a t-shirt (rather than string straps), knee-length shorts and sandals. Probably what you'll be wearing in Sept anyway. Definitely not as strict as Italy when some US students were turned away for inappropriate attire.

My flight from CDG to Oz is at 2100, but I like to get there a couple of hours early. I check in on my computer, usually the day before. You don't have to have any paperwork. You join the short "already checked in" queue (or whatever it's called) and they will then issue you with a boarding card. There are lots of places to have food after you go through the doors - as well as duty free shops

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris - September trip (Champ Elysees / Marche Bastille,etc)

<<No dress code in Paris for churches - as long as you aren't wearing a bathing suit, you'll be fine.>>

No, there is a dress code for churches, regardless of which city.

Please don't wear shorts or mini-skirts, or skimpy tank tops, or baseball hats. Wear a knee-legnth skirt, be respectful.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,744 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris - September trip (Champ Elysees / Marche Bastille,etc)

if you intend to visit Sacré-Cœur Basilica -- no open shoulders, shorts, bare feet..

Sundays some shops on the Champs close an hour or two earlier than other days, so at about 8-9pm, and Monoprix is closed ..I would start at the Arc

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
97 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris - September trip (Champ Elysees / Marche Bastille,etc)

Thanks for your help everyone!

7. Re: Paris - September trip (Champ Elysees / Marche Bastille,etc)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 06:18