We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help us with a lovely suburb to stay in

United States
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help us with a lovely suburb to stay in

Hi,

I have been to Paris many times, but this will be different. We have 6 people traveling together, 3 generations, on a budget of about $300 per night. I would normally stay in the Marais or St. Germaine, but, we will have 2 cars and a fairly small budget for Paris. We are thinking maybe it would be better to stay somewhere on the outskirts, near a RER station, at a hotel that we can park our cars for free and train into the city. Ideally, we would be able to walk to good, authentic restaurants as well. Any great ideas out there?

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help us with a lovely suburb to stay in

When are you planning your trip and how long are you staying for?

Is that $300 (225 euros) per night for all 6 people?

United States
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help us with a lovely suburb to stay in

The trip will in July 2015, and yes, we are hoping to be at about $225 Euros per night. We would consider renting an apartment/house/villa as well as a hotel.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help us with a lovely suburb to stay in

Even in suburbs 225 euros for 3 rooms is tight

You could try the ibis styles -I remember one close to state de France below or at 100 Europe per night

Plenty of parking but area err not quaint

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,538 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help us with a lovely suburb to stay in

If I understand your question, you what to stay somewhere, paying little more than 220€ per night for 6 people and be able to take the RER into Paris each day.

Staying outside of Paris and commuting into town from anywhere other than a location served by the métro means you will spend a lot of money on transportation expense, specially for 6, and a lot of time on trains. I don´t think that 220€ per night for 6 people is realistic for traveling almost anywhere in France.

I would seriously rethink your travel plans and budget.

Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
172 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help us with a lovely suburb to stay in

You have some suburbs really close to Paris, like in you-cross-the-road-and-you-are-in-Paris. Le Kremlin Bicêtre, for example, in the south of Paris, has the metro line 7 (so not even the RER) that takes you to the Louvre in 25mn, the 5th arrondissement in 10mn (great restaurant choices) and even the 13th arrondissement in litteraly 5 minutes. In the latter you will find the Chinese neighborhood but also La Butte aux Cailles, a neighbrohood with a village-like feel with nice restaurants. There are a couple of hotels (Ibis, Novotel etc) but I think you will have to pay to leave your car in their parking lot.

Other cities in the suburbs that come to mind: Vinceness (really lovely) with the big Big Vincennes park, Montrouge, Issy Les Moulineaux, Neuilly sur seine (posh as in the 16th arrondissement), Boulogne with the Bois de Boulogne, Levallois. All these suburbs are reachable with the Metro.

United States
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help us with a lovely suburb to stay in

I'm not looking so much for recommendations for lodging, I can do that research myself. I'm interested in suburbs that are nice that are on a RER line. We would probably only go into the city once or twice during our whole stay. We would spend the other days sightseeing with our cars.

Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
172 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help us with a lovely suburb to stay in

As far as your budget is concerned, I would think that an ibis or ibis budget will do. The one in Gentilly has even rooms for 3 persons at an average price of 100 euros. They have an RER in Gentilly but also buses running close by. It is right on the other side of the 13th arrondissement and 10mn by feet from the lovely parc Montsouris.

Another ibis that comes to mind is the one in Cour Saint Emilion, still in Paris but at the outskirts. They also have rooms for 3 people with an average price of 100 euros. Or you can take 3 rooms at 90 euros in average (but it will depend on how busy the hotel is as sometimes prices can fly high very quickly).

However, you will have to pay for the car which increases your budget quickly.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help us with a lovely suburb to stay in

This is probably what you're looking for:

http://www.mam-antony.fr/accueilnormalise.htm

The website is in French but you can find reviews and info on TripAdvisor and booking.com. I'm pretty sure it has free parking, and Antony has lots of restaurants. The Sunday market puts a lot of Parisian markets to shame.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,667 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help us with a lovely suburb to stay in

Most western suburbs are gorgeous with a few exceptions, the northern suburbs are where the problem areas are concentrated but with also a lot of pleasant suburbs, and east and south are a mix of very posh towns, charming lower middle-class and working-class post-industrial areas (with a few problem areas, especially some towns along the Seine). Overall, most suburbs are lovely so there are too many to name. It would be easier if you started looking for accommodation and we could tell you if the town is nice.

How many nights are you staying for? An apartment or house would be cheaper for a party of 6.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 18:46
United States
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help us with a lovely suburb to stay in

Thank you so much for all of the info!! I have some great suggestions to start my search!