We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the RER T+ tickets interchangeable?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
788 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Are the RER T+ tickets interchangeable?

Evening all,

Off to Paris Thursday, probably going to buy ten tickets on the metro as seems the cheapest way and best way for what I need. Question is, I wont need all ten, can my wife and/or child share my ten? Or does every passenger need there set if ten? Cant see why we couldn't share, but wondered if there were any rules against this?

Cheers all

Jimbo

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the RER T+ tickets interchangeable?

A carnet is just 10 loose tickets so you can share them with as many people as you want. Children get a 50% discount but if it's cheaper for you to just share your carnet between you, your wife and daughter then she can certainly use an adult ticket.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the RER T+ tickets interchangeable?

By the way, he tickets t+ are valid on the RER only inside Paris proper (zone 1). On all other modes of transportation (métro, tram and bus) they can be used in all 5 zones of the greater Paris region though. They are not specifically RER tickets, on the contrary, they are mostly known as métro and bus tickets.

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
788 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the RER T+ tickets interchangeable?

I'll be using them from gare du nord to nation, return, as that's where we are staying. Plan on using the water bus, name eludes me right now but stops at 9 tourist places and also a hoho bus. Know there are probably a whole host of options, but these seem my best bet. For first time ever I don't have an itinerary, just going to see where the wind takes me (that and the words schedule and 2 year old don't go together!).

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the RER T+ tickets interchangeable?

2-year olds don't pay on public transportation, only children aged 4 and older.

As for the water buses and hop-on hop-off buses, they don't accept these tickets. Those are private companies, not part of the Paris public transportation system. But you can use them on buses, métros, trams, Montmartre funicular as well as the RER within Paris.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,195 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the RER T+ tickets interchangeable?

If your daughter is just 2, she doesn't need any ticket. 3 and under are free.

Tickets don't expire so keep unused for next visit.

You may think again about Batobus (water bus) as it may take forever at each stop, but if you don't have any plans - go with the flow.

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
788 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are the RER T+ tickets interchangeable?

Sorry, I have a 7 year old also, so that's who I meant will be sharing our tickets. Appreciate that the tourist buses and batobus are seperate to the metro system.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are the RER T+ tickets interchangeable?

I am not a fan of the batobus as transportation. Better to just take the Bateaux-Mouches or one of the other river companies for a full view of all of the Seine in Paris;

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
788 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are the RER T+ tickets interchangeable?

Thanks for the advice. I guess I was thinking of it from a cost perspective. What would be the most direct way from Gare du Nord to Nation? I will be carrying a large suitcase and also will have a pushchair so any with escalators or lifts would be great.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,756 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are the RER T+ tickets interchangeable?

You might want to check on the RATP site. I believe there's a city bus goes from Gare Du Nord to Nations. With the push chair, that might be your best option. Stayed in the Nations area ourselves, but we came in from CDG and used the 351 to get from the airport to Nations.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,787 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are the RER T+ tickets interchangeable?

the Batobus is reached by very steep stairs so is not great with a toddler at all or a stroller and is hellish slow. I would take the kids on a Seine Cruise from Pont d'Alma where there is a ramp for entry and use buses to get around. The HOHO is also not good transportation although you might enjoy doing the circuit on top.

The 7 year old can get a carnet of 10 tickets for half price.

Be sure to hang on to all 3 tickets each time you ride the bus or metro until you have exited the system; the fines are stiff if you are inspected and can't produce the tickets. This happens fairly often.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com