We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol in public?

Montana City...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Alcohol in public?

I love the idea of a picnic in the park and a bottle of wine..... is drinking outside of establishments ok or no? Thanks!!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
493 reviews
from US$72.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$108.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$299.60*
Florida
Level Contributor
17,263 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcohol in public?

Not really legal but possible...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k53161…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k51667…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k70653…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcohol in public?

Drinking in public is tolerated just about everywhere, although in many public areas such as most parks it is officially forbidden, but only to give the authorities a way to crack down when a situation gets out of hand. In most cases, a group sitting on the authorized lawns or on a bench with a bottle of wine will never be bothered as long as they are not raucous.

One exception in recent years has been the Champ de Mars across from the Eiffel Tower in the evening, because it was becoming a venue for teenage binge drinking. But I have not been there in a long time, so I do not know what the current situation is.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcohol in public?

The real difficulty will be finding a park where you can actually sit on the ground, if that's what you have in mind...

Not too many parks in Paris allow sitting on the grass, so be prepared to find a bench or a couple of park chairs, or go sit on the cobblestones along the Seine or Canal St Martin.

Here are some locations that are picnic-able and have grass you can sit on:

Champ de Mars

Place des Vosges

Le Square du Vert Galant

Jardin du Luxembourg

Parc des Buttes Chaumont

It's a good idea to stay away from children's playground equipment, especially in small parks, where parents and park guards are a little touchy and might make you feel uncomfortable. As far as anywhere else goes, if you behave discreetly and clean up your trash, nobody should bother you and you can relax and enjoy yourselves.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,161 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcohol in public?

If you scroll through the photos here ---> tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187147-d2… you will come to our picnic in the Champs de Mars which included a nice bottle of Bourgogne.

Pjk

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcohol in public?

Here's the picnic situation in a place like the Parc de la Villette.

…photobucket.com/albums/…repu-vil081.jpg

Montana City...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcohol in public?

Thanks so much for all the comments! Very helpful!!! :)

7. Re: Alcohol in public?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 06:16