We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinery for Paris

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Itinery for Paris

Hi!

I am coming to Paris for my honeymoon and I just booked 4 nights (Arriving Sept 10 8:30 am - Sept 14th) in Paris in the St Germain Area! Now that I purchased I am realizing I may or may not have left enough time to explore!

This is what we want to see:

Chateau De Versailles

Montmartre Church

Notre Dame

Arc Du Triumph

Lourve

Normandy - take in some of my Canadian History and pay respects

A day trip to see Castles in the Loire Valley (maybe 3-5??)

Eiffel Tower

Seine River Cruise

With all this in mind, how much time do I need to see the Notre Dame, The arc Du Triumph and the Lourve. We are not huge museum people but cannot pass on the Lourve, so we don't need a full day there. Also, which should we buy ahead of time and which once there? Is the pairs pass worth it?

Would it be better for cost and experience to have dinner at the Eiffel tower or on the seine river cruise? We are planning on doing this the first night!

Anything I am missing that you feel is a "must do" for a first timer on their honeymoon in paris let me know! We are doing 4.5 weeks in Europe as our honeymoon so we have lots of flex time and options :) (we will be heading to nice after this, then Switzerland, Italy)

Thank you!!

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinery for Paris

<<<Would it be better for cost and experience to have dinner at the Eiffel tower

Anything I am missing that you feel is a "must do" for a first timer on their honeymoon>>>

Hi, to answer part of your question - check out ..

www.lejulesverne-paris.com

restaurant on 2nd level of Eiffel Tower - private lift - fabulous view - great food and service - once in a lifetime (but expensive) experience....see reviews on Tripadvisor...........................have a great trip !

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,431 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinery for Paris

You don't really have time for Normandy or the Loire as part of the Paris trip though you could add them after. In reality you have 3 days on the ground plus that first evening (presuming the 14th is the day you move on) A Loire trip from Paris is full on, all day to see maybe 3 places. Most of the time is in a bus. Normandy is just too far and the tour of the Canadian beaches is confusing without a guide. We took an all day tour from Bayeux because the significant places are stretched out all over the place.

Versailles is really a full day trip as you will get back late in the afternoon. That leaves 2 more days.

Arc de Triomphe can just be seen from across the street or you may go through an underpass and actually climb it. You could walk for a bit down the Champs Elysees then dive into a Metro station and head for Anvers station from which you can visit Sacre Coeur (Montmartre) and maybe have lunch on Rue des Abbesses.

Notre Dame is a huge church which is glorious inside. There is a fast moving line to see this for free. The towers of Notre Dame can be climbed for a fee but the queues for this are quite long. If you are at Notre Dame consider seeing Ste Chapelle and maybe going onto Ile St Louis for a Bertillion ice cream.

The Louvre can have long security lines, especially at the Pyramid entrance. If you go in from Rue de Rivoli the queues are usually much shorter. But have a look on-line to decide what it is you want to see. For example, I like the place in the basement which shows the actual old castle walls. I enjoy the sculpture gallery. Loved the Napoleon 3rd apartments. Most people want to see the Mona Lisa, which is tiny and fronted by huge crowds. You can't see it all, so choose. I find 3 hours is about my limit in any one museum. It is closed on Tuesdays.

Things missing

# Ste Chapelle

# The Orangerie for Monet's waterlillies

As to dinner on the ET, Le Jules Verne can set you back about €600 if you also drink alcohol and you must book a long way ahead.

58 Tour Eiffel may be more affordable

restaurants-toureiffel.com/UK/EIFFEL-TOWER-R…

Dinner cruises don't get a good write-up here generally, though Le Calife may be the best. http://www.calife.com/english/

Edited: 21 August 2014, 07:59
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,875 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinery for Paris

As Lynn says you really don't have time for Normandy and the Loire in four days. There is much, much more than four days worth in Paris alone. For me, I would also skip Versailles on a first/honeymoon trip, it is amazing but so crowded it does detract from the splendor and the gardens are enormous, lovely if you have a long day but with only four it doesn't seem worth it.

The Louvre is also huge, if you JUST want to see the three usual suspects allow about 2 hrs inside plus queue time to get in.

I would suggest starting off with your cruise as it will orientate you for the remained of your sights. Go to Sacre Coeur in the evening to see the views of Paris as dusk. Cost wise it will be vastly cheaper just to climb the Tower.as well as Lynn's added suggestions I would recommend going up Notre Dame to see the gargoyles close up.

Have a lovely honeymoon, I went to Paris and you won't be disappointed.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,390 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinery for Paris

Are you flying from Canada straight into Paris? If so, you will have jet lag and your first day mightn't be as good as you would like. Try to stay up all day, have an early dinner, and (hopefully) a good first night's sleep. I definitely don't think that dinner up the EF or a night-time cruise on your first night is a good idea. You will probably be just too tired to enjoy either. And other posters have reported that the sound of the engines on the cruises sent them straight to sleep on their first night.

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinery for Paris

thanks for all the input! I guess one thing I should have mentioned is that we have not booked our hotel in nice yet so we can add as many more nights as needed in paris. We were then planning on taking the train down to nice.

I will look up your suggestions!

How many more days should I add to see everything on my list?

also, what is the best way to get from the airport to st germain area?

THANK YOU!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,431 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinery for Paris

The problem is you can't see it all in 4 weeks, let alone 4 days.

One trip a long time ago we stayed a few days in Paris, then took a 4 night roadtrip to Giverny, Bayeux, Mt St Michel and Chartres. It was a fabulous excursion. Then we had a few more nights in Paris at a totally different location (Montmartre first then Ile St Louis) which gave us a different perspective on parts of Paris.

Trying to do France, Switzerland and Italy in 4.5 weeks is stretching it rather a lot. Maybe rethink the priorities. Don't think you are alone in this. I got up to version 12 of our itinerary last trip where whole swathes and directions of the original trip were omitted or turned around.

This was our trip

www.nickbooth.id.au/Europe02/France/Index.htm

7. Re: Itinery for Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:17